Motorola Droid — update

• Replies:36
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Aug 6, 2010 1:41:34 PM

From what I have been reading, there have been some issues with the Droid FroYo update and Flash, and there might be another update coming out soon. As for the Apps2SDcard, I think that the developers have to choose to let you decide where the apps can go, so it might be awhile before most apps are updated so we can use the feature.

Aug 12, 2010 12:12:18 PM

the update comes out in groups, and his group was scheduled to get it before you. If you want to do a manual update, check out the blogs section, where I posted a walkthrough on how to get the update installed. Otherwise, you should be getting it today, tomorrow, or in a couple days time I would think.

Aug 20, 2010 4:50:47 PM

ok, thanks Douglas for always being on top of things. On a side note, 2.2 stopped my phone from being A PHONE! I could do everything except complete a call. It seems that calling *228 option 2 was the fix.

Aug 21, 2010 11:40:37 AM

Douglas Carter
the update comes out in groups, and his group was scheduled to get it before you. If you want to do a manual update, check out the blogs section, where I posted a walkthrough on how to get the update installed. Otherwise, you should be getting it today, tomorrow, or in a couple days time I would think.

hey man , plz tell me i can manually update my milestone too !! :(

Aug 23, 2010 12:31:32 PM

Randy Merrell
Read this kind of scary. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2368108,00.asp
Nothing has happened to my phone so far.

The article is about the Droid X Android 2.2 update, Motorola threatening people distributing the unofficial update, and talks about issues with installing custom ROMs? Do you have a Droid X now?

Aug 23, 2010 12:56:59 PM

No I don't have a Droid X. But the article says "According to an official statement by Motorola, If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. " While the article is about specific models the statement uses the open ended "a device" wording. In addition it says "Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats." That sound bigger than just two models to me. The good news is I have not read any accounts of this happening to anyone. Conversely I have read the statements by Droid X owners with the upgraded OS saying it has not happened to them.

Aug 24, 2010 8:00:11 AM

This special recovery mode is only on the Droid X as far as I know... See Douglas' blog post about it here: http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/blog/392592/Locked-Down-Motorola-Droid-X-Launches

Also if you doing a manual update, but updating to the official release it makes no difference. It would only affect you if you were updating to a unofficial or mod'd release. A manual update to an officail release is still an official release.

— modified on Aug 24, 2010 8:00:41 AM

Aug 24, 2010 12:30:54 PM

That is true now that it appears that everyone is getting FRG01B and not the FRG22 that had been rumored. Does yours also have Kernel version 2.6.32.9-g103d848 android-build@apa26 #1 ?