How can I market my app?

• Replies:53
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Apr 13, 2012 5:50:52 PM

Have you tried GiveMeApps?

They will write reviews for you filled with SEP
They will do video reviews
They will also create a profile page and listing for you to help with exposure?

It's free.

May 1, 2012 3:20:35 AM

I've found a great site with a forum about marketing your apps. These guys have a lot of good suggestions on how to market your apps: Admin edit: **links are forbidden**

— modified on Jun 21, 2013 10:30:52 AM by moderator

May 11, 2012 7:06:20 PM

- Press Releases are great as some people have mentioned.
- Have you integrated sharing in your app so users push it to their friends? Have you integrated Facebook's Open Graph?
- Hit up as many App review websites as you can find!

Also for cheap marketing tricks ... you can use fiverr.com. There are people on there that will review your app for $5 and some will even promote it with Tweets and stuff. This is a good way to get off the ground, because getting good reviews seems to help with downloads.

Jun 9, 2012 8:49:48 AM

So you are also a frustrated developer?
I worked 7 month on my app. From 5 AM in the morning every day till midnight. My wife for sure wants to get divorced and my kids and my dog probably hate me.
It is a very good app and I get good reviews from people that use it, but no one can find me in the Google Play store. I am probably in place +500 (I stopped counting after I started to feel pain in my finger). The app is free (I have also a Pro version but this is another sad story) I get few cents from adMob every hour. By the end of the day I might be able to buy a cheap beer in a very cheap place... small glass... if they give me discount.

And now to the point:
Google algorithm is based first of all on reviews. Yes, the keywords, name of app, number of downloads and uninstalls is also important, but first thing you need some good reviews. You can buy them, but this is against the Google policy and I am not going to do that.
But there is nothing against helping each other, right?

If you download and review my app I will download and review yours! Just let me know. That's simple.
This is a link to my app. And yes, you can also use it- it is the best expense manager app and might help you save money..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mediavision.handwallet

Thanks,
David

— modified on Jun 9, 2012 8:59:24 AM

Sep 13, 2012 5:14:08 PM

Hi,
I've been there like you. I have a few android apps my self and the biggest problem is marketing.
From my experiences the best options are letting others know you're there on forums dedicated to app announcements and try sites like Admin edit: **links are forbidden** which are dedicated to new app announcements.

— modified on Jun 21, 2013 10:31:55 AM by moderator

Sep 30, 2012 4:46:01 PM

Thanks everyone for good tips! Sounds really familiar, I have 3 games and to two of them I've really put some time and effort (Rhythm Sheep and Shape Fitter). Now it's time to market them and as a marketer I am really a newbie. I haven't used any money on it yet, but I could pay something for marketing campaigns if I knew my money would be well spent.
Admin edit: **links are forbidden**

The most recent marketing attempt was to build a Hall of Fame for my Rhythm Sheep game: Basically I'm hoping to add value to the game by enabling players to show off good results in public. It was launched today, so there's not much scores yet, but let's see if it takes off at some point.

— modified on Jun 21, 2013 10:30:29 AM by moderator

Oct 1, 2012 10:26:43 AM

I hope you are doing well!

As I researched on marketing of android apps, I found that the best way to promote your app are Google Play Store, Google Mobile AdSense, Social Media and Blogs. Isn't It?

Oct 7, 2012 7:19:28 AM

turskagames
Thanks for the tip Orion Exchange! I registered and propably will try it out in next update. I have tried some banner exchange services and Orion Exchange looks promising. Here is another thread related to banner exchange: http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/forum/thread/453419/Banner-Exchange-Networks-for-Android-Apps

Great, thank you for the kind words. We're still fixing the last few niggles and kinks.

So far we have a huge disproportionate amount of users trying to Spend Credits rather than Earn, so we're grateful for every user that decides to install our SDK and we'll Tweet your Apps double-time to our 2.5k fans!
Admin edit: **links are forbidden**

— modified on Jun 21, 2013 10:36:33 AM by moderator

Oct 10, 2012 8:23:27 AM

Douglas Carter
Jeremiah brings up a good point in that many users look for the good free apps before they look at any of the paid apps. It is very frustrating from a developers standpoint if you aren't making many sales on your free version, and you see a free version of an app which does a similar job. Many people prefer getting the free version of an app than pay for it.

I think there is some part of the mind that doesn't like giving out money for something intangible, like software that you have no hard copy of. For instance, I consider antivirus software for my PC to be very important, and I was glad that I bought a paid version two years ago, but now that it is expired, I have a very hard time convincing myself that the paid version is actually worth the expense.

My recommendation is to follow Jeremiahs advice and make two version of the app. One with advertising and less features, and then the paid version with no ads and full features. I'm sure that you will have more downloads that way. However, it will take a long time before the ad revenue gets to a decent level.

Yeah! There are lot on free app for android but for the best suited app, you need to go for the customized one! Isn't it?

Deactivated Account

Dec 4, 2012 11:19:21 PM

Hi David,

Great app. I've just put a 5* review in for you. I'd be grateful if you could also review my new app:

CleverDic Crossword Solver

I can't yet post links as a newbie, but if you search for CleverDic you'll quickly find it

Kind Regards
Mark Bailey
(Pig Dog Bay)

Dec 7, 2012 9:45:13 AM

David Shahar
So you are also a frustrated developer?
I worked 7 month on my app. From 5 AM in the morning every day till midnight. My wife for sure wants to get divorced and my kids and my dog probably hate me.
It is a very good app and I get good reviews from people that use it, but no one can find me in the Google Play store. I am probably in place +500 (I stopped counting after I started to feel pain in my finger). The app is free (I have also a Pro version but this is another sad story) I get few cents from adMob every hour. By the end of the day I might be able to buy a cheap beer in a very cheap place... small glass... if they give me discount.
Hi David !
I can understand what you mean.
I have tested your app and I am really very impressed. There is a lot of work in it. You have lot of functions with a simple userinterface.
Made a rating for your app in the German language.
Can you test my app - look in the footer.

— modified on Dec 7, 2012 9:57:48 AM

Deactivated Account

Dec 8, 2012 9:08:42 PM

Hi Andreas,

Great app, 5* review given!
I'm up for joining the developer club that you mention.

Kind Regards
Mark

Dec 11, 2012 9:06:04 AM

Hi, I am now a days working on "How to Market Androiod App"... I found this thread very helpful, but i found a general mistake of attacking solution rather than the the Problem.

I believe that marketing an app is in itself a full time job/task and obviously more important than even developing the app. Many people have done a lot of work on it so rather than directly finding out the ways to market ... sit down and think about the problems/issues being faced using some marketing models like the following one. This will help you in being more targeted.

4 Cs Approch (Catch, Connect, Close, Continue)
Catch: Catch your customer's attention, If you are facing problem that your app don't get noticed... your issue is Catching. Use some SEO, make your name close enough to some popular game to be in search results, get ads at some useful spots and a long list which can be fruitful in different scenarios..

Connect: Connect with your users, if your app or ads getting a lot of impression but CTR or downloads are low... your issue is Connecting. Is your logo design is thoughtful regarding marketing perspectives or it is just a piece of art... your App name and logo matched and portray about what your app is... Is your description, reviews, rating and many other dimensions are aligned..

So in this way by being more systematic you can easily find out synergies to market your App and I am happy that majority of solutions are already mentioned here by folks... just you need to put the right pieces together.

I hope you will find it a lil helpful.

Jan 20, 2013 10:48:29 AM

What app review sites have you contacted?

Here are some of the popular ones (based on Alexa rank):

Name (Alexa Rank)
Android Central 2,677
App Brain 5,715
Android Police 6,298
Phandroid 9,366
Android Community 9,420
Apps Zoom 9,551
Android and Me 13,560
Talk Android 18,058
Android Tapp 37,725
Android Guys 46,789
Tapscape 60,848

Hope it helps!

Jan 21, 2013 11:25:25 AM

Patrick Garde
What app review sites have you contacted?

Here are some of the popular ones (based on Alexa rank):

Name (Alexa Rank)
Android Central 2,677
App Brain 5,715
Android Police 6,298
Phandroid 9,366
Android Community 9,420
Apps Zoom 9,551
Android and Me 13,560
Talk Android 18,058
Android Tapp 37,725
Android Guys 46,789
Tapscape 60,848

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the list Patrick! I've contacted most of them, but there are few that I haven't yet, so let's see if any of them would like to make a review :)