DescriptionpressureNET is a global network of user-contributed atmospheric pressure readings. This data is displayed as markers on an embedded Google map, and users can view the data graphed over time. Check out our visualizations at http://pressurenet.cumulonimbus.ca. pressureNET has recently been featured on BBC World Service, Wired Science, and MIT Technology Review.
Our primary goal is to improve weather forecasting for everyone on Earth by dramatically increasing the availability of live data that describes the atmosphere. We are in the early stages of this goal, and are currently livestreaming our data to atmospheric scientists so they can assimilate and process it. The next steps are to build new forecasting models.
pressureNET supports all Android devices running 3.0 and up, though only tablets or phones with barometers will be able to contribute readings, see their pressure and use the widget.
Devices with barometers include:
Galaxy Note II
RAZR MAXX HD
As we gain users, we're working towards building a comprehensive, live network of barometer readings in order to improve weather prediction.
- Interactive Google Map showing locations and submitted barometer readings (note that locations visible on the map are slightly fudged to protect user privacy although accurate data is recorded)
- NEW: The map now includes graphics indicating current weather conditions, as submitted by users
- NEW: Pressure drop/rise alerts. This feature is in Beta and will send a notification when your pressure starts to fall (potentially indicating that a storm is coming)
- NEW: Report the current conditions outside where you are - your data will show up on the map, and will be included in our analysis of our pressure data in the future.
- My Info button to show personalized statistics and your recent submission graph
- Log Viewer to see your last day’s worth of submissions
- Export recent data you've submitted (archive export coming soon)
- Settings screen to modify Auto-Submit options and change unit preferences
- High-quality widget to view your current barometer reading, submit readings, view pressure tendency
- Data Visualization map for our global data set, also available at http://pressurenet.cumulonimbus.ca
- Sharing preference to set granularity of data sharing
This project is fully open source (MIT license) and you can find the code on GitHub here:
BBC World Service: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014ypyj
Wired Science: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/01/android-weather-prediction/
MIT Technology Review: http://www.technologyreview.com/news/510626/app-feeds-scientists-atmospheric-data-from-thousands-of-smartphones/
We're always adding more features and would love your input. Visit our blog at http://cumulonimbus.ca or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org