DescriptionTecla is a set of open software and hardware tools that facilitate switch access to electronic devices for people with mobility impairments.
IMPORTANT: For instructions on how to install, activate and select the Tecla Access keyboard, please visit:
The Tecla App is an input method that enables external switch access to Android. This is a special kind of application that integrates tightly with the operating system enabling access to most of its functions.
Tecla supports wireless control of Android, via an on-screen keyboard, directly from a powered wheelchair or standard ability switches connected to a Tecla Shield:
* Provides access to the whole device, not just to apps written for it.
* It scans in full-color on the built-in on-screen keyboard, so you don’t have to be looking at a separate screen.
* Affordable, end-to-end, standards compliant solution: Use your powered wheelchair or adapted switches to control your Android device!
* Google Voice Actions integrated: Control the device and enter text using your voice!
* Scanning: Step, auto or inverse scanning with fully configurable scan speed.
* Completely usable via a single switch (and up to 4 switches) with auto-scan or reverse-scan. That means, no switch gestures required (e.g., double click, press and hold, timed sequences).
* Any switch event from Tecla Shield wakes up and unlocks the device (no need for someone to swipe the lock for you before being able to use independently).
* Any switch event from Tecla Shield answers an incoming call.
* Full-screen switch mode: Use the entire screen as a single switch.
Tecla is part of the ÆGIS (Ontario) Project (http://aegis.idrc.ocad.ca/). It is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development and Innovation (http://www.mri.gov.on.ca/) and supported by the ÆGIS (Europe) Project (http://www.aegis-project.eu/).
Additional details and installation instructions are available at:
Tags/Keywords: accessibility, access, accessible, a11y, axs, android accessibility, android access, mobile, mobile accessibility, mobile access, arduino, switch, switches, switch access, remote control, touch-free, tekla, tecla, shield, tecla shield, wheelchair, power wheelchair, powered wheelchair, environmental control unit, ECU, appliance control unit, ACU, disability, disabled, handicap, handicapped, physical impairment, impairment, impairments, motor impairment, quad, quadriplegia, paraplegia, hemiplegia, CP, ALS, MS, sip, puff, head switches, joystick, alternative input, rehabilitation, assistive technology, AT, wireless, bluetooth, user input, input method, single-switch, keyboard, on-screen keyboard, phone, open source, interface, user-friendly, inclusive, electronic aid for daily living, EADL, integrated, dual switch, speakerphone, automatic, auto, auto-answer, voice, actions, commands, voice search, voice input