DescriptionKernerman Advanced English Dictionary is a user-friendly dictionary designed to address the needs of both English-speakers and learners of English at upper-intermediate and advanced levels. All those who use English as a native or foreign language, whether high school and university students, professionals, or the general public, will find it a useful addition to their library.
**This is a fully functional TRIAL!**
The dictionary contains over 50,000 main and sub-entries, reflecting the status of English as the international language of communication.
Kernerman Advanced English Dictionary is both a teaching and learning tool. Its goal is not only to provide information, but also to teach active and appropriate use of words and phrases. Meanings are explained in simple vocabulary and grammar, without the use of abstract terms. The typical examples of usage, rich in collocations, are corpus supported and are taken from everyday life. The entries are packed with a wealth of information. Irregular plurals, spellings, pronunciations and phonetic transcriptions are all indicated. Nouns show countability or uncountability. Verb entries show principle parts and irregular spellings. Irregular adjective and adverb comparative and superlative forms are indicated. Usage is indicated by labels such as formal, informal and slang. Notes are provided to cover grammatical problems in English, and other points that may be confusing for non-native users of the dictionary. Both British and American forms, meanings, spellings and pronunciations are given. In addition, the dictionary is both culturally neutral and gender-unbiased.
To avoid overcrowding of the text, each headword starts on a new line, and includes the relevant antonyms, cross-references, etc.
Kernerman Advanced English Dictionary is completely up-to-date, with present-day expressions and vocabulary in science, technology, communications, the arts and humanities. A rich set of appendices provides a wealth of encyclopedic knowledge on a broad variety of topics, while headwords appear in color.
The MSDict Dictionary Format
The Kernerman Advanced English Dictionary is here presented in MSDict electronic format. MSDict offers best experience in mobile reference and is available for any handheld platform.
* Quick dynamic search of words while you type
* Ability to add bookmarks to favorite words
* Hyperlinks between different related words
* History to see the last 50 words you have looked up
* Filters to help you locate the word you are searching for:
* Fuzzy filter- used when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
* Keyword-used to locate the instances of a key word within other compound words
* Wild card - "?" and "*" replace a letter and group of letters in words
* Convenient two pane design for tablets
* Fast article scrolling
* Online and offline modes supported; the offline mode allows you to download the whole dictionary and work independently from data connections
* Ability to have dictionary Word of the day as a widget on the phone home screen
* Ability to search words in the installed dictionaries through the standard phone search feature
* Support for memory cards