DescriptionSMS Backup & Restore is a simple Android app that backs up and restores your phone's text messages.
- Backup SMS Messages in XML format.
- Choose a scheduled time to automatically backup.
- Backup format is independent of the Android version so the messages can be easily moved from one phone to another, irrespective of the Android version.
- Option to select which conversations to backup.
- View/Restore all Messages or only selected conversations.
- Delete all SMS Messages on the Phone.
- Email a backup file.
- Automatically Email or Upload to Dropbox & Google Drive using the Add-On.
- The XML can then be converted to other formats, and can also be viewed on a computer.
Please note that this app does not support MMS (Picture/Audio/Video) messages.
This app is ad-supported and requires the Internet permissions to display the Ads.
If you do not want ads the they can be disabled from preferences or you can buy the paid version from the Market.
On newer phones with inbuilt storage the default backup location will probably be the internal storage card and not the external.
This is because the phone reports the storage that way.
If you intend to do a factory reset on the phone, please make sure you save/email a copy of the backup outside the phone before doing it.
Lots more info at http://android.riteshsahu.com/apps/sms-backup-restore
FAQs can be found at http://bit.ly/d9t7Jk
Please start the app at least once after updates so that the scheduled backups start working.
Developers are not able to respond to comments posted on the market, so if you have question or a problem please either send emails or post them on the website.
This App needs the following permissions to work:
* Storage - modify/delete SD card contents (android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE): To create the xml file on the SD card.
* Your messages - edit SMS or MMS, read SMS or MMS (android.permission.READ_SMS, android.permission.WRITE_SMS): Needed to read SMS during backups and write them during restore.
* Your personal information - read contact data (android.permission.READ_CONTACTS): To display and store the contact names in the backup file.
* Network communication - full Internet access (android.permission.INTERNET): For displaying Ads.
* Network State - (android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE): Required by the Google Admob Ads so that it can check the state of the network before requesting Ads.
* System tools - prevent phone from sleeping (android.permission.WAKE_LOCK): To prevent the phone from going to sleep/suspended state while a backup or restore operation is in progress.
* Hardware controls - control vibrator (android.permission.VIBRATE): To vibrate the phone when an operation is completed.
* Read Phone State and Identity - To fix an error caused during Restore on some phones.
* Automatically Start on Boot - Start Scheduled Backups.
Icons designed by Vlad Kitanoski of www.vk-solutions.com