Ok i know this is stupid but i have to ask?

• Replies:32
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Mar 16, 2010 5:11:04 AM

What the heck is root your phone i just got my droid about month ago and i'm still figuring it out and i've heard people talking about root you phone but what the heck is that?

Mar 16, 2010 4:41:28 PM

ok so basically since i'm not trying to do amazing things like change the android files themselves like you do on your computer. its basically like hacking the android system. Ok got it not something i'm doing know me i would break my phone

Apr 23, 2010 7:58:37 AM

Hi,

I have just got my HTC Hero and am really enjoying it. I find something new about it every day. I have heard about "rooting" your phone in these forums and in some apps in the market. I get what you guys have said here about a super user etc. How do you go about "rooting" your phone, and how much damage can you actually do? There are some apps i would like to try out like "auto memory manager" which requires "rooting", but i am scared i may wreck the phone. :(

Apr 23, 2010 9:55:10 AM

Rooting your phone is not that easy. We have an instruction. But it is in German. Probably I can find someone to translate it asap. As a root, you can do a lot of more things with your phone. E.g. installing a new ROM or nearly all apps.

If you do a mistake during the root process, your phone may brick. In that case your phone is broken and you won't be able to fix it.

Apr 23, 2010 11:11:17 AM

Ok ... Well now i am scared. So the moral of the story is to stay away from "rooted" apps if you not really 100% sure what you doing ....... I would hate to 'brick' my baby :)

May 25, 2010 12:08:17 PM

Assuming your Moto Droid is running Android 2.1:

This walk-through here should work according to the comments below it. From the walkthroughs I looked at, they all seemed to be the same more or less, so good luck!

I don't recommend that you do this unless you are confident in your skills and understand the risks, as you can damage your phone. I hope it works for you. We don't take responsibility for what happens to your phone if something goes wrong.

— modified on May 25, 2010 12:10:51 PM

May 29, 2010 7:07:02 PM

Douglas Carter
Assuming your Moto Droid is running Android 2.1:

This walk-through here should work according to the comments below it. From the walkthroughs I looked at, they all seemed to be the same more or less, so good luck!

I don't recommend that you do this unless you are confident in your skills and understand the risks, as you can damage your phone. I hope it works for you. We don't take responsibility for what happens to your phone if something goes wrong.

Jun 27, 2010 3:16:11 AM

So, as long as your phone is running OS 2.1, doesn't really matter what make or model you have, you can still root it with the linked instructions? Thx

Jun 27, 2010 8:04:36 PM

Ok, that's good to know...don't want to mess things up --thx for the advise! Does anyone know where I can find specific instructions on rooting a Samsung Moment?