How to stop apps running in background mode?????

• Replies:39
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Apr 29, 2010 9:36:48 PM via Website

So I've noticed that my phone has been slowing down quite a bit....and then I realized that a bunch of applications are running in the background. Some of the apps just don't have an exit button!!!!! How do I quit them all? Last.fm keeps on scrobbeling when I don't want it too and other games are running as well.

Would appreciate any help!

— modified on Sep 16, 2011 10:56:34 AM by moderator

Apr 29, 2010 10:10:40 PM via Website

Thanks!

OK this may sound stupid, but how can this app "kill' Messages, Phone, Albums, or Camera???? Does that delete the feature? How could they be running in background mode?

Apr 30, 2010 7:22:21 AM via Website

Yan M.
So I've noticed that my phone has been slowing down quite a bit....and then I realized that a bunch of applications are running in the background. Some of the apps just don't have an exit button!!!!! How do I quit them all? Last.fm keeps on scrobbeling when I don't want it too and other games are running as well.

Would appreciate any help!

In general, applications won't need an "Exit" Button inside Andorid OS. There is a lifecylce for every application where you have certain automatic exit and return or reentry points. This is, onPause, onStop, onDestroy and so on.

If an application is done well, there is no need for an explicit exit button. If it is prgrammed in a way which differs from best practice, chances high that some routines will stay in memory and the OS will encounter problems removing this app from application stack.

This is where "task killers" enter the game ..... Hope that this answers your questions.

— modified on Sep 16, 2011 10:55:32 AM by moderator

lg Voss - Ach ja und noch was, die AndroidPIT-Regeln ლ(╹◡╹ლ) Android Security

Aug 22, 2011 8:31:41 PM via Website

Fabien Roehlinger
Yan, try this app. This might help...

Adao Task Manager
very powerful app
it freed up 166 mb
I also like the auto kill feature on screen lock
I registered to the site to be able to give this feedback because I think it is good advice

Jul 26, 2012 7:56:31 PM via Website

Hey guys, will installing these two suggested apps help with the battery life on my phone?

This is my first smart phone (Droid 4), and I can't believe how fast the battery drains on it!

Thanks!

Sep 13, 2012 2:07:14 PM via Website

Why not just open "apps", then click the menu button on the bottom left, then select "manage apps"? At the top you can select "Running" to find the apps that are running, and they by pressing each app, you can stop it if you don't want it running. This way, you can choose which ones to allow to run and which to stop.

Sep 19, 2012 10:51:25 PM via Website

nothing helps when killing an app. Apps are initially killed, the app shows how much memory has been saved, but then the same apps would re-load once again.
After the second android phone I start to believe this OS is just crap

Jan 20, 2013 11:54:16 AM via Website

hello dear ,
i installed already 'advanced task manager ' , yes it can stop applications and many of them restart again within 3-4 sec.
How can i stop not to run again without my permission.
Regards

Jan 20, 2013 1:23:36 PM via Website

Use an autostart manager, which stops app starting at boot in the first place. Some apps, such as google maps/latitude, will automatically start as soon as your phone is switched on, then continuously attempt to restart. If you don't use or need them then they can either be disabled via a script or simply uninstalled, although in jellybean(4.1+) they can be disabled in the apps menu. Task killers are generally a compromise: if your phone is slowing down due to limited ram then you need to either uninstall some apps, buy a better phone, or root your current one and use a memory management method like the supercharger script or create an ext 4 partition and move your cache to the sd, or similar options(there are quite a few).

Sinkster

Mar 30, 2013 12:23:20 PM via Website

Jörg V.

In general, applications won't need an "Exit" Button inside Andorid OS. There is a lifecylce for every application where you have certain automatic exit and return or reentry points. This is, onPause, onStop, onDestroy and so on.

If an application is done well, there is no need for an explicit exit button. If it is prgrammed in a way which differs from best practice, chances high that some routines will stay in memory and the OS will encounter problems removing this app from application stack.

Hello,

I have noticed that if I open the internet on my phone or go to the stock text messaging app, after I close these by hitting on the return back button on bottom right of phone, then when I go into task manager I see that both still show under Active Applications, would you say this is normal so that they start fast when executed? not many other apps seem to be like this and wondered why being curious?

With these not closing in task manager does this have any form of issues to the battery power?

EDIT.

It would be most interesting to know how long the lifetime is for both the Internet App and the Stock Messaging App when there is plenty of memory on the phone.

In other words how long it would be before any of the apps disappear from the active apps on Task Manager

I had both on task manager/active apps, I switched off my phone for 10 or so minutes, after switching back on again the active apps had zero showing, so my question is how long would it take for the apps to disappear from the active apps without the need to switch off the phone?

— modified on Mar 31, 2013 5:12:56 PM

Mar 31, 2013 11:21:54 PM via Website

After leaving the phone for a little bit the active apps had gone from task manager, so android does appear to be working as it should. :D