ROOTING!

• Replies:6
Ben Caronna
  • Forum posts: 24

Jun 18, 2010, 12:27:07 AM via App

Anyone root the Droid Eris? If so what's it like?

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jun 18, 2010, 1:15:11 PM via Website

How long have you had your Droid Eris and do you not have Android 2.1 yet?

I figure you are just curious, but I am left wondering why you might want to. I would think most of the people who root start off on it because they want to install a custom ROM for an Android OS that hasn't been put on their phone yet. What reasons were you thinking of for rooting?

I haven't heard of any ROMs for Android 2.2 for HTC Droid Eris yet btw.

Ben Caronna

Jun 18, 2010, 4:38:43 PM via App

To be completely honest with you I don't know anything about rooting. I haven't really been too into phone technology until about 6 months ago when I bought my first Droid and ever since then I've been trying to learn everything about it. A few days ago a friend of mine asked me if I had ever considered rooting my phone and I didn't have an answer for him. I know that it opens your phone up and is similar to "jailbreaking" an iPod or iPhone. I am just trying to figure out what it does and if its worth the risk of voiding the warranty. I also recently heard that the Eris won't be receiving Android 2.2 ?

Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Jun 18, 2010, 5:11:06 PM via Website

I'm not sure about the future of Android 2.2 for the Droid Eris, but I wouldn't put too much faith in any rumors of it getting to the device. What phone does your friend have, and is he already running Android 2.1 or 2.2?

I'd like to hear some actual Droid Eris users chime in on this one.

Ben Caronna

Jun 18, 2010, 5:14:39 PM via App

He has the regular Motorola Droid and is currently running 2.1. He hasn't rooted his phone either.

justJay
  • Forum posts: 757

Jun 19, 2010, 1:22:52 AM via App

I have the Eris and don't see the need to root.. I might consider it if it doesn't get the 2.2 and someone comes up with the ability to upgrade to 2.2 by way of root.. but HTC did say that all their 2010 phones would get it.. and most Eris owners got their phones in 2010. I see little reason at this time to take the risk of rooting my Eris.

Anthony m
  • Forum posts: 34

Jun 21, 2010, 10:29:02 AM via App

I have have an Eris too I don't think it will receive the 2.2 it lacks the memory and processing power.I am interested however in rooting because you can actually do certain things with the phone like use it as a hotspot and save apps to ur sd card instead of using the phones internal memory

— modified on Jun 21, 2010, 10:31:16 AM