Marketing apps

• Replies:39
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Jul 12, 2010 3:26:40 AM

Quote from my earlier post:

One last note: the Animal Tracks app is over 24 MBs in size.. and could be a deterrent for many people.. at least until most phones have the 2.2 Android firmware which will give developers an option to give their app the ability to be installed onto the SD card; which at the moment is only the Nexus One. Until then you might not see many downloads.

Jul 12, 2010 7:12:26 AM

I tried searching for "wildlife" in the market and your app didn't show up... When you upload to the market it lets you pick keywords, and I would have thought wildlife would be a good keyword, so you probably should go over your market registration again. I bought the lite version, couldn't get the full version because its 24mb and thats just too much for one app, my phone only has around 90mb of app storage, I think. It's probably the pictures, illustrations and sound files that are taking up most of the space. You can do something about this... Make your app so that only the program is installed to the phone memory. Then after someone buys it, it downloads the media files and stores them to the sd card. This could really help your app I believe. Also, why does the lite version cost money? I thought the whole point of a lite version is to make it free, so you get lots of people trying it.

— modified on Jul 12, 2010 7:20:06 AM

Jul 19, 2010 6:37:57 AM

I found another useful way to market apps if anyone is following this thread. I have an "ad" version of the apps I make. The advertiser I use is called AdMob. One of the great things they let you do is make/use "house ads". House ads are ads you make and show on your own apps. You can select what percentage of your ads showing in your apps are house ads, which apps show them, and which apps show which house ads. So say like me, you have an app that has over 50,000 downloads of the ad version, and maybe a new app that doesn't have many yet; you can make a house ad to advertise your new app. Then set it to display in your popular app. Have gotten over 100 click throughs to my new app in 2 days so far, with house ads set to show at 50%. And with admob, it doesn't cost anything!

— modified on Jul 19, 2010 6:41:30 AM

Oct 3, 2010 9:10:55 PM

I didn't do anything really except ignore it. I wrote it off a long time ago as a poor decision on my part. I kept the price up at 6.99 as it's counterpart on the iPhone is. It could entirely be that the start of hunting season throughout much of North America has brought the numbers up.

Oct 12, 2010 1:11:43 PM

Glad to hear your sales are increasing. Word of mouth for an app can do wonders, so once more Android devices are in the hands of wildlife enthusiasts, and people start talking about their wildlife themed apps, traffic/downloads will increase exponentially. Then again, that is pretty much how any app goes. Much luck in your endeavors.

Deactivated Account

Nov 6, 2010 2:46:04 PM

Hi,

Have a look here, this is a presentation on selling apps I gave during DroidCon UK 2010. Basic stuff but you might find it useful.

Thanks,

Tom

Nov 9, 2010 4:02:03 AM

Tom Mleko
Hi,

Have a look here, this is a presentation on selling apps I gave during DroidCon UK 2010. Basic stuff but you might find it useful.

Thanks,

Tom

Nice presentation Tom, where can I get the gDocs for the tools? I don't have any Brittishness to help me; if only we had paid our taxes :)

Nov 10, 2010 7:23:41 AM

irenelopour
Hi there jeremiah,

http://prezi.com/learn/portable-prezi/

In this case Brittishness will only get you 100mb of presentation for free after that Brittish will abandon ship and your on your own and your paying.:grin::lol:

Thanks Irene, but I'm not trying to get his presentation. At the end of the presentation he mentioned that all "Tools" are available as google docs next week, but didn't say where to get them.

Nov 10, 2010 8:07:33 AM

@jerimiah

My bad... Since he deactivate his account im assuming his gevin up on android and focusing only on iphone...

As for the gDocs for the tool, at the end of his presentation he wants you to follow him on twitter @hyperbees... And im guessing thats where your gonna make your request for the gDocs tool....

English is my second Language

Nov 11, 2010 7:42:25 AM

irenelopour
@jerimiah

My bad... Since he deactivate his account im assuming his gevin up on android and focusing only on iphone...

As for the gDocs for the tool, at the end of his presentation he wants you to follow him on twitter @hyperbees... And im guessing thats where your gonna make your request for the gDocs tool....

That's too bad for him, hope he does well. Thanks for the twitter tip :)

Feb 3, 2013 8:36:45 PM

I am also interested in this topic (android downloads). Not for my app, but I'm interested to figure out how to not get buried by android market/googleplay to help a friend. His app is a free game that I think is a really great product, but it is difficult to get the visibility that he needs to increase downloads. Any recommendations besides free social media to increase an apps visibility?