So, what exactly is rooting, and is it for me?

• Replies:53
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered

Mar 21, 2013 3:25:37 PM via Website

Well, if you are just a new user for Android then rooting your android phone is definitely not for you. Take time using your android phone in standard version so that you can get used to the features your android has to offer when it is still standard.It would be very risky for you if you automatically root your android

Apr 23, 2013 12:58:26 AM via Website

I've read through this thread and not seen the answer I'm looking for. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, purchased last fall, and I'm on US Cellular. They're being sold to Sprint in my area. THEY say my US Cell phone won't work with the Sprint network. Will rooting this phone make it so that I can transition to sprint without having to buy a new phone?

May 26, 2013 1:59:35 PM via Website

recently I came across an article which provides good information an rooting ...LINK://techwikasta.com/2012/06/android-rooted/,i hope this will be helpful to solve your queries...:)

Jun 25, 2013 9:39:38 PM via Website

monica velasquez
Do I have to root my android phone in order to move apps to the sd card? I don't figure out how to move them. pls help. I have Galaxy Note II GT-N7100

No, you don't. There are a couple of ways to move Apps to the sd card. I have a Galaxy Note I.

1) Go into Settings>Application Manager. It will open at 'downloaded' which will be highlighted, then tap on any App you want to move to the sd card, you will see 'move to sd card'. Tap on that and the App will be moved to the sd card.

2) Go into Settings>Application Manager. Along from 'downloaded' you will see 'on sd card' shaded. Slide along to the left so that 'on sd card' is highlighted. Apps which are on the sd card will have ticks in the boxes on the right hand side. To move Apps on to the sd card, tap the box and you will be taken to another screen where you will see 'move to sd card'. Tap on that and once it's been moved, tap on your back key to go back to the tick box screen.

Deactivated Account

Sep 19, 2013 2:39:55 PM via Website

Rooting is a process that enables a user to have superuser privileges. If you want to have services from your store's then no rooting is not a thing you must do as rooting void's the warranty.

Oct 23, 2013 8:26:23 PM via Website

You can't unlock a phone by rooting it. Unlocking is the only way to switch carriers. Unfortunately, I'd need to know if you have a GSM or CDMA phone. The technologies are almost completely incompatible (there are ways to convince a CDMA phone to do GSM, but it's very tricky). Spring is CDMA, so if you have a GSM phone, the answer is a definite no. As I understand it, unlocking the phone yourself is now illegal in the US, so you'd need to convince the carrier to unlock your phone, and that would require, among other things, a complete reflash. I'd say the answer is pretty close to "no." Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've never had much luck with switching a phone across carriers, to make a long story short. Straight Talk didn't even know how to unlock my CDMA phone to make it work on Verizon, for example.

--Joel

--I do a good impression of myself--

Feb 1, 2014 6:52:39 AM via Website

I rooted my droid, overclocked, and have wifi hotspot.... can anyone explain how to create a backup? I've searched all over and it seems everyone has different ideas on what to do.

Feb 14, 2014 1:00:06 PM via Website

john walker
I rooted my droid, overclocked, and have wifi hotspot.... can anyone explain how to create a backup? I've searched all over and it seems everyone has different ideas on what to do.

To backup your rom you need a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod or TeamWinRecoveryProject. Installing depends on your phone as some can just be flashed using stock recovery or an app like Flashify while other phones require using fastboot/adb while connected to your PC/laptop. Once installed, you can then make a Nandroid backup, which is basically a perfect copy (or image) of your phone thereby saving both system and personal data files. Basically it's like a restore point; if your phone gets borked then you can restore it to a previous state, without having to set it up again, or download/restore apps, and without losing data such as mms, call logs etc.

Sinkster

Apr 28, 2014 2:49:15 AM via App

I was wondering if anyone can help me with pdanet. I do usb w.my pc an my htclte ...I now hav a galaxy3 tab. im told thru pdanet I havto use bluetooth. so I downloaded pdanet on my tablet along with foxfi as instructed they do pair....yet my galaxy3 isnt online. I cannot figure out wat im doin wrong its driving me crazy. so ive been searchn on ebay for an accessory to try to hav my galaxy3 hooked up to my htc thru a usb...cannot find any attachment watso ever.
can anyone help me with this?