Anyway to use Android to fill in a PDF form?

• Replies:26
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Oct 5, 2010 8:36:37 AM

Anyway to use Android to fill in a PDF form?

Hi all,
I trying to figure out if I can use Android for some engineering logs I take daily and then sync to my laptop. If I generate a PDF form in Acrobat on a Windows PC, is there a app that will allow me to fill out the form on Android and save the completed form to transfer back to the PC?
Cheers,
Phil

— modified on Oct 5, 2010 8:37:23 AM

Oct 6, 2010 6:41:09 AM

Documents to go for android has probably one of the most powerful pdf viewers. As this article shows: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/documents-to-go-for-android-adds-pdf-and-powerpoint-support/1765

Though he said it will save the pdf files, I don't know if you can fill in the forms with it. I would go to the makers of documents to go's website: http://www.dataviz.com/ and email them to ask if this is supported.

Jul 27, 2011 6:34:04 PM

You can re-create forms using a service like www.airmobility.net. Once the data is collected back on ther server, this service auto-generates a formated PDF. Supports photo capture as well.

Jul 28, 2011 9:48:20 PM

Alan Gould
You can re-create forms using a service like www.airmobility.net. Once the data is collected back on ther server, this service auto-generates a formated PDF. Supports photo capture as well.

Thank you for posting this info. I looked over their website. Can you be more specific on how to accomplish this using Airmobility services?

Cheers,
Phil

Aug 10, 2011 4:25:35 AM

Jeremiah
Documents to go for android has probably one of the most powerful pdf viewers. As this article shows: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/documents-to-go-for-android-adds-pdf-and-powerpoint-support/1765

Though he said it will save the pdf files, I don't know if you can fill in the forms with it. I would go to the makers of documents to go's website: http://www.dataviz.com/ and email them to ask if this is supported.

HEY IVE GOT GREAT NEWS!!! qPDF Note is really user friendly and a visual way of entering PDF Forms you have already created. You can also use the FILL AND SIGN PDF FORMS. I have both, but prefer the qPDF Notes because I can see the form as I enter it. Kinda depends on what type of work you are doing. I love this and work in a hospital and have to fill out forms all day long. NO MORE PAPER with me. Though it did take a lot of work setting up the PDF files (1 form has 156 fields) Good luck and hope to hear it worked for ya :) !

Aug 11, 2011 10:24:09 AM

Some awesome help on this thread, thanks guys, just one question: if I have a pdf file on my android phone and wish to turn it into a fill-able form which I can then fill in with Fill and Sign PDF, how do I do it?

Aug 15, 2011 11:40:50 PM

Spamuel Needbeef
Some awesome help on this thread, thanks guys, just one question: if I have a pdf file on my android phone and wish to turn it into a fill-able form which I can then fill in with Fill and Sign PDF, how do I do it?

Arguably the best way is to use Adobe Acrobat, the company and software which created the PDF format. There is alot of help how to do this in Acrobat, a Youtube search would give you alot of tutorials.

If you do not have Acrobat, can't get, don't want to buy it, get a freeware program here:
<http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-pdf-tools.htm>

There's a link under 'Specific Tools' for 'Make Fillable PDF Forms.'

I'm still working on the perfect Android solution and I will keep this updated.
Thanks for the qPDF info. I don't know that one.

Cheers,
Phil

Aug 16, 2011 9:17:59 AM

Regarding the AIRmobility site:

Alan Gould sent you a message:

Pretty straight forward. Just go to www.airmobility.net, register, make your form, dowload the Android client at www.airmobility.net/a subit your firm from your Android device, data collected under Real Time Status supports a PDF report. There is a video on the site that walks you through all of this as well.

This works very, very well with incredible features, and for free. Big disadvantage is you need an internet connection in order to have the info traded back and forth.

Phil

Aug 16, 2011 9:22:15 AM

If anyone is interested, I am working with a company to develop something specific to my needs. I would like to learn and write the code myself but I just do not have the time. Busy at work. Here is the current details of what I am working on:

Objective of final product:
1. Generate PDF log files with data entered by operators onto a Android device.
2. Final Data saved and backed up as PDF files.
3. Trending Chart data:
-available over selected time frame of any and all entered data
-simply and clearly showing unusual values
-easily viewed by vessel and shoreside office

Characteristics of final product:
Form-fillable PDF
PDF form with ability of end user to continually update and tweak form data
Downloadable .apk application able to run on multiple devices and without an internet connection
Chart Trending
Signature
Attach Pictures
Email ability

From the Operator perspective:
Open PDF on either phone or tablet
go around to various machinery systems and enter data (numerical, text, dates, notes, etc.)
Filled in PDF ability to "Save As" separate from original, blank PDF.
Filled in PDF ability to email directly from device
Trending & Charting cability to study entered data and determine potential problems with machinery

From the owners perspective:
Receive an email of daily log files in PDF format
Receive a simple monthly chart of all entered data clearly seeing any problem values (out of range) and/or missing values.

Cheers,
Phil

Aug 19, 2011 2:46:06 AM

hey bud, If you can get that working that would be great. I am currently trying to find a way to get my techs to digitalize thier forms. I can't just create a new one so I created a fillable version of our physical service forms. the downfall is that it is in landscape and requires signatures. all the PDF apps on the markey will only work in portrait, if you can create an app that would allow landscape mode on fillable forms that would be great.

feel free to contact me.

Sep 1, 2011 10:36:42 PM

We (Qoppa Software) have an app that will let you fill PDF forms and then save them or send them via email.
The resulting file is standard PDF, so can be read by other PDF viewers.
qPDF Notes is our app, it sells for under $10, and you can use a free version if you don't mind watermarks.
We also offer a free viewer - qPDF Viewer - that is fast with good navigation.

Sep 3, 2011 1:21:40 PM

Susan Sims
We (Qoppa Software) have an app that will let you fill PDF forms and then save them or send them via email.
The resulting file is standard PDF, so can be read by other PDF viewers.
qPDF Notes is our app, it sells for under $10, and you can use a free version if you don't mind watermarks.
We also offer a free viewer - qPDF Viewer - that is fast with good navigation.

Link:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.qoppa.activities.noteskey

Jan 21, 2012 1:05:15 AM

piggy-backing on to this thread, I'm looking for an app that will retain the Auto-Calculate functionality of a PDF form I made on my PC. I tried everything suggested in this thread, and qPDF gets me the closest to what I want, but it doesn't appear to retain the calculated field functionality.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

— modified on Jan 21, 2012 1:06:58 AM