OCR Library for Android (Gingerbread or ICS)?

• Replies:1
Iron Oxide
  • Forum posts: 1

Oct 8, 2012, 1:22:33 AM via Website

I have managed to create some basic Android apps for myself, and have development expericence, but would like to know if anyone knows of a (preferably free) OCR library/class for Android. I'm thinking 2.6+ but I don't mind if it's 4.0+. At this stage it's just for my own use.

Some background - I have a device which displays and controls the current temperature of my pottery kiln. A picture of it is attached. It displays the current temperature (in red) and set temperature (in green) of the kiln, and turns the kiln on/off via a contactor according to a temperature ramp I set.

What I want to do is to log the temperature of the kiln over the whole firing (8 to 10+ hours or so). I currently do this manually, but it's a pain to go out to the kiln every hour or so, plus the time resolution isn't that great.

I had the idea of doing a time lapse recording on my phone using LapseIt, but I'd have to manually look at each image captured and enter in the temperatures into a list or spreadsheet etc.

So, I'd like to be able to leave my phone in front of the device, and photograph and OCR the display every 10 minutes or so. This can then be saved to a CSV or similar on the phone for later analysis.

I have the foundations for such an application, in that the graphing, CSV saving/editing, are all in place, but I'm stuck at the OCR point.

Ideally what I'd like to do is to just call an OCR function, and receive text back, e.g. it could return "1022 1080" and then I can easily grab the changing temperature.

I can't find any such library though - this is what I need help with.

Hope I have explained this clearly,

IronOxide

Patricia Hall
  • Forum posts: 41

Oct 8, 2012, 12:23:43 PM via Website

According to me, Library is pure java and uses invariant moments to match glyphs. And this link supported on android, Thanks for info.