Can't get started

• Replies:6
  • Answered
Mike Smith
  • Forum posts: 6

Jan 4, 2013, 1:19:35 AM via Website

I have just downloaded and installed the Android SDK but I can't see how to invoke it. There is no launch icon.

I have gone into the "Program Files" section with the Windows Explorer and cannot find any trace of it.

Where does it normally reside?

Andreas Weichert
  • Forum posts: 287

Jan 5, 2013, 8:57:01 AM via Website

Häh, you installed the SDK without Eclipse ???

You must download Eclipse and unpack it. It has no setup-programm, you can put it in any directory and start Eclipse.exe

Mike Smith

Jan 6, 2013, 12:57:33 AM via Website

Andreas:

I seem to have downloaded and unpacked eclipse.exe already. I have the eclipse.exe file plus a series of subdirectories: configuration, dropins, features etc.

I also ran the SDK Manager.exe which took several hours. I do not see where the SDK installed any files. I have done a search on the word "android" and there is no trace of it.

Anyway when I run eclipse.exe I get a message that it is an unknown publisher and if I click Run anyway, nothing happens.

Andreas Weichert
  • Forum posts: 287

Jan 6, 2013, 10:46:40 AM via Website

Hi Mike !

I have heard that Google made a all inclusive package (Eclipse + SDK). Did you install this?
I have not tested it, therefore I can only help by the old installation procedure.

Maybe be the Eclipse-SDK connnection is not ok.

Can you start the SDK-Manger from Eclipse: Menu: Windows/Android SDK Manager ?

In this Manger you see at the top of the screen the path to your libs. It is for me "android-sdks". By default this directory is located in the "Own Files" (dependent on your Windows language). I have canged it an cannot say what is the default exactly.

Go in Eclipse to the menu Menu: Windows/Preference. In the Android node you see the path again. If not change it.

So, I think this would help for the first steps. Post if you have still problems.

Mike Smith

Jan 6, 2013, 7:58:57 PM via Website

Andreas:
I tried again and this time I downloaded the 32 bit bundle and this seems to be working.

I have no idea how I would decide whether to download the 32 bit or 64 bit bundle. But the 32 bit bundle seems to be best for my Operating System (Windows XP Professional 5.1).

Thanks.

Ashish Tripathi
  • Forum posts: 211

Feb 4, 2013, 12:34:47 PM via Website

you have downloaded S.D.K. now

download the eclipse

add the android plug in (get it from the android side)

set the s.d.k path in eclipse

create the avd.

play with it.

The s.d.k. location is where you have given the path in downloading.

if still problem let me know.

Mike Smith

Feb 4, 2013, 9:46:46 PM via Website

I think it is working OK now.

I have been working with the examples in "Beginning Android 4" and they do not work very well.

So I have a new book on "Teach Yourself Java in 21 Days". This seems to work properly. So once I have learned how to deal with code errors in "Beginning Android 4", I will start studying it again.

— modified on Feb 4, 2013, 9:47:39 PM