What is the best programming language to develop Android apps?, Java?,

• Replies:17
naher mahmud
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 23, 2013, 8:59:11 AM via Website

Hello all,

What programming language do you recommend me to build android apps?

Actually i know how to build scripts with python but i don't know if this language is good developing android apps.

Thanks

James Liu
  • Forum posts: 15

Jul 1, 2013, 8:42:29 AM via Website

Hi there,

It is depending on your experience. You develop android by Java. You also can do it by Flash Actionscript with Adobe Air as well. If you are familiar with HTML and javascript, I suggest you to use PhoneGap.

Thanks.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 131

Jul 17, 2013, 6:25:13 PM via App

You should use Java, please don't use PhoneGap or any similar HTML based framework.

Alliacetek
  • Forum posts: 5

Jul 31, 2013, 2:15:17 PM via Website

Java is the primary android development language, but you don't need. C++, Python, Ruby and others, are the Scripting Environment.

Thus the other languages are the "Enhancements of the Application"
Admin edit: **links are forbidden**

— modified on Aug 2, 2013, 10:39:59 AM by moderator

Manoj Soni
  • Forum posts: 2

May 31, 2014, 12:52:05 PM via Website

I Personally like Java using Eclipse IDE ... Java is only and most popular programming language that is used for developing Android apps.

rajajisubramanian
  • Forum posts: 17

May 31, 2014, 2:40:53 PM via Website

its depending upon your experience, upto my knoweledge java is best one....

Roy Weinberg
  • Forum posts: 12

Jun 8, 2014, 11:53:34 AM via Website

I recommend native programming only for now, and wait and see how Javascript is holding up in 2016

Yulia Ye
  • Forum posts: 7

Mar 21, 2017, 11:02:21 AM via Website

I think tat Java is the best for Android. According this research -

www.cleveroad.com/blog/research-of-most-popular-programming-languages-for-2017

Java is on the top of list

— modified on Mar 21, 2017, 11:03:00 AM

martin smith
  • Forum posts: 277

Mar 27, 2017, 2:51:03 PM via Website

Java is the best programming language to develop android apps..

Андрей Довиденко
  • Forum posts: 15

Apr 11, 2017, 6:15:43 AM via Website

I use Lua on Corona SDK. It's easy to start with. Perfect community

Marc Moissat
  • Forum posts: 3

Apr 11, 2017, 1:53:34 PM via Website

Definitely java for generic purpose.

If you have critical issue related to performances you can write some procedures in native C code and call it from your java app using JNI.

But if you have such problematic, you are certainly making a game or a 3D app and the right question is then : which framework should I use ?
LibGDX can be a response but there is a lot of other choices. Also note that if you need deep 3D features you will have to learn a bit about open GL 2 ES and the GLSL language.

Mr. Jacob
  • Forum posts: 23

Apr 20, 2017, 10:49:10 PM via Website

You can develop in other languages to Android (fx. with C# with Unity including Android apk export). Java is just "main" language for, since Android is running on it.

Alex Black
  • Forum posts: 2

Dec 19, 2017, 9:22:35 AM via Website

There are two official programming languages for native mobile android development:

Java
Kotlin
Kotlin was declared official android language some 10–15 days ago during Google I/O 2017.

Java is official android language since android came into existence.

Java's support on internet, stack overflow, books, tutorials is top notch. No programming language in world comes near Java in terms of support from programming community. However there are programmer who used Kotlin for android development thats why Google made it official language (or maybe because of its dispute with Oracle for copyright infringement lol).

If you're just starting learning android go with Java.
If you have some experience with java the I'd suggest to go with Java and use some kotlin code too. because it can be used with Java and can use all Java libraries built for Android.
I am here not talking about PhoneGap/Cardova(HTML5,CSS,JavaScrip), Xamarin (C#), Corona(Lua) etc because I think we don't get that feeling with cross platform languages like we get from official languages.

Alex Sam
  • Forum posts: 11

Sep 14, 2020, 12:50:41 PM via Website

I personally recommended Java is the best language to build a android apps

DEV IT
  • Forum posts: 79

Sep 2, 2021, 2:31:54 PM via Website

JAVA is the right choice to learn, it's hard to understand its funda and coding method but once you will have good command on functionality and array and class of code then you will easily work in JAVA and develop any mobile application you want wither in android or iOS.

Eliana Wilson
  • Forum posts: 21

Mar 25, 2022, 1:27:15 PM via Website

Java is one of the most popular programming languages for the android development wide area, code libraries, solutions, and instant modules are the topmost benefits. Generally talking, in the event that developers experience issues, they may effectively find the solutions in a matter of seconds.

mrharun
  • Forum posts: 3

Mar 31, 2022, 10:46:03 PM via Website

This. Android is technically java, except most of the methods are weird, have weird parameters, and are unique to mobile development. You also need to know XML, which is like HTML without rules. OP should probably start with Ionic or Android Studio, it's a bit more straightforward than react-native ime, albeit less employable. I started Android app development last Monday(currently on holidays) and I’ve been able to make a simple movie/show searching app that can take a search input and display movie details(cast, runtime, etc) from IMDB(using the OMDB API) and then display if the movie/show is on Netflix or not(using the Guidebox API). I’ve made use of intents, recycler view, libraries that help parse JSON, etc.

Echoinnovate IT
  • Forum posts: 13

Apr 1, 2022, 7:00:24 AM via Website

Hi ,

I recommend the following languages for app development as they are dynamic and most demanding in industry now.

1. JAVA
  2. Python
  3. Swift
  4. Dart