Samsung Galaxy S3 — Phone receive texts but does not display them

• Replies:9
Cham Raj
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 18, 2013, 2:55:13 AM via Website

Hi,

I apologise if this problem has already been covered somewhere on the forums - I've tried searching but haven't found anything. My Galaxy S3 (with version 4.1.2 firmware) is running GO Locker as its launcher and GO SMS Pro as the primary text messaging app. I am also using Lightflow to control the LED for all notifications.

The problem that I am having is that when I receive some text messages, I receive a notification from Lightflow (the LED starts blinking) but when I unlock the phone and try to read them, I cannot find them anywhere. I am able to see a preview of the message in the pull-down menu under Lightflow 'outstanding notifications', however, there are no notifications from GO SMS Pro or the standard messaging app (I usually get notifications from both of these in my pull-down menu when I receive a text message).

If I open GO SMS Pro or the standard messaging app, I am still unable to find the received text message - as far as these apps are concerned, I haven't received a text. It appears that Lightflow is the only app which is aware of the text message.

The strange thing is that this problem only occurs for some text messages (about 1 in every 5 that I receive) - most of the the time, it all works fine.

Has anyone experience a similar problem? Or would someone be able to help me diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help
Cham

Hailey Winstone

Aug 23, 2013, 4:20:41 PM via Website

Hello Cham Raj,

I have been having exactly the same problem as you, but with a different device - the Huawei Ascend G300.

The problem started about a month after I bought the phone. Lightflow flashes green to indicate that I have a text message, but there is no notification tone, and when I turn the screen on there is no message to be seen anywhere. I have established by talking to friends that I am definitely missing some of their messages, which is incredibly frustrating - especially when Lightflow picks something up.
I have also established that some of my sent messages are not being received either.

I previously used the stock messaging app, but now use Handcent as I read somewhere that it sometimes picks up missing text messages. This seemed to do the trick at first, but not for long. I have also tried Ghostly SMS, which is an app made to instantly grab a copy of text messages before it hits the messaging app(s). This has picked up about 4 messages so far that my messaging apps have failed to receive, but I'm still getting that green flashing led and I am still missing other texts.

This is happening to roughly 1 in 5 of my text messages too - both incoming and outgoing.

I've tried a lot of things to solve this, you can read this by Googling 'Not receiving all (SMS) text messages, help? - giffgaff.com' (they won't let me post links here as I'm a new user).

I can't find much information about this on the net, and I am at a loss at what to do - apart from getting a new phone, or uninstalling and gradually reinstalling every app one by one, which would take ages as I might not miss a text message for a week or so (I'm not a heavy user you see).

I don't get the Lightflow 'outstanding notifications' in my pull down menu. Not that this would help a great deal, but I might have a fiddle with the setting and see if I can put it on.

Let me know if you manage to figure anything out.

From one frustrated Android user to another.

Ninerweiner

Oct 31, 2013, 5:13:46 PM via Website

Im not having this exact issue. My phone only notifys me of my text messages only after I enter the messaging app. I revive notification of picture messages and group text but if its an individual conversation then I won't be notified. Anyone know of an answer to this issue?

Mark

Jan 23, 2014, 7:41:00 PM via Website

I had the same problem of receiving texts and seeing the notification in the pull-down, but I couldn't see them in the SMS app. The problem was that the date was off by a few months. Automatic date and time was turned off. I turned it on and problem fixed.

The texts I couldn't see were actually there, but way down the list because they were received with the wrong date (3 months in the past).

Melanie JohannaShannon Dawson

Erin OBrien

Mar 16, 2014, 3:36:41 PM via Website

Mark
I had the same problem of receiving texts and seeing the notification in the pull-down, but I couldn't see them in the SMS app. The problem was that the date was off by a few months. Automatic date and time was turned off. I turned it on and problem fixed.

The texts I couldn't see were actually there, but way down the list because they were received with the wrong date (3 months in the past).

THANK YOU!!!! Would love to know why the date & time suddenly stopped working on my phone but at least now I know the fix if it happens again. Just saved me a trip to the Verizon store!

Aly Burgess

Nov 20, 2014, 10:35:44 PM via Website

I am having the same issue as well. It seems to be an issue mainly with the original sms app. Ive tried to use other apps and the problem is persisting. I can see the preview but when i go to view the message nothing shows. My responses and contact replies are not showing at all.

Shannon Dawson

May 28, 2015, 3:25:11 AM via Website

Mark

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! I've been trying to fix this issue all day. You just saved me a lot of time and frustration. You totally rock!

Kazza

Jul 6, 2015, 11:16:32 AM via Website

Easy when you know how - a million thanks. I had the same problem. The date and time for some reason changed and once corrected which took seconds. Back to normal. Yey.

Chloe Louise

Sep 10, 2015, 9:52:46 PM via Website

Hi guys, I know this isn't useful to the user who posted this now but for anyone reading with the same problem. I also was receiving text messages which were coming up on my drop down menu (top of the screen) buy not apearing in my messaging app. I looked back through my chats to see that the messages had actually come up further up in the chat. I worked out that this may be because I had played around with the date and time settings beforehand. I haven't found a solution to this problem yet however my advice would be to set your time and date accurately and go from there maybe. Hope this helps!

Melanie Johanna

Jan 17, 2016, 4:05:19 AM via Website

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! My phone just started doing this and my problem was the automatic date & time shut off. I never would have thought to look at that. Thanks for the help Mark (two years later & it still helps) I'm thrilled!