Are you happy with the battery life of your smartphone?

• Replies:26
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Dec 18, 2013 12:16:45 PM via Website

I am most certainly NOT happy with the battery of my Galaxy S3! The thing dies so fast it's astounding! I do need to admit that I don't really follow the best battery practices, like often letting my battery drain to zero before recharging or letting it overheat. I will definitely put Kris' 16 tips for saving battery life to use as of now on because I am always being left high and dry, which sometimes lands me in some precarious situations.

— modified on Dec 18, 2013 12:16:59 PM

Dec 18, 2013 2:12:06 PM via Website

I was happy with the battery life of my nexus 4 (shocking, right? who's EVER happy with battery life??) but KitKat destroyed that. And now I have an S3 and I'm finding the battery astoundingly bad. Charge it as often as I can, have back ups, etc... but it's a disaster. Have to try way to hard to make it through 12 hours!

HowDoYouAndroid.com

Dec 18, 2013 10:31:29 PM via App

I have a Note 2 and am running Probam 4.4 kit kat with ART runtime and get at least 36 hours out of one charge; that's usually a quick play in the morning, a few phone calls and browsing during the work day and heavy browsing, streaming and playing in the evening. I love my phone!

Dec 21, 2013 9:15:33 PM via App

I was fearing the worst from the Nexus 5 battery after reading a few reviews, but it's actually been surprisingly good. My old One X couldn't last 8 hours with moderate to heavy use, but the N5 with Franco's kernel lasts double that easily.

Sinkster

Dec 23, 2013 8:08:36 AM via App

More than satisfied with the battery life of my gs4,8 hours listening to music,some moderate web surfing,texting,get back home,still have ~40%

Jan 21, 2014 5:21:02 PM via Website

Yeah Franco kernel is reknowned for being great.

My Nexus 5 is still ''fairly'' stock - CM 11, but no other mods. I took a few battery use minimization steps (the ones Loie mentioned above) and a few others I didn't include in the video, but I get a ton of battery out of my N5 - easily a day and a half if I'm not hammering it (which I usually am, and even then it's a clear day with no problems). I checked just now and it's at 66% after 17 hours off charge (admittedly 6-7 of those I was sleeping), but as you mentioned, I was expecting much worse.

Mary has a new Nexus 5 too and even though she's doing most of the same things as me she's still getting pretty bad performance. She's completely stock but seems to be having no luck. Her Google Play Services is killing her battery whereas mine has no impact at all, and we both have v4.1.23. Sometimes you just get lucky I guess.

— modified on Jan 21, 2014 5:23:54 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Jan 21, 2014 5:28:32 PM via Website

Yes the battery life on my new Nexus 5 is crap.... but I am pretty sure it is due to the horrible wifi at home (which is making is constantly scanning for good wifi connection). But I didnt have this problem with my previous phones with the same wifi connection :/

Jan 21, 2014 7:13:52 PM via Website

The only smartphone I've ever had that had good battery life was the Razr MAXX, but it had other issues ... like a locked bootloader and, um, it was a Motorola phone. The audio jack had hardware issues starting about a month after I got the phone. Battery lasted for 5 days sometimes, though.

Honestly, though, I think bad battery life comes standard with smartphones. I typically just charge mine regularly and it at least gets me through the day.

--I do a good impression of myself--

Feb 1, 2014 6:55:49 AM via Website

Yes the battery life on my new Nexus 5 is crap. But I am not sure if it is due to the horrible wifi at home. But I didn't have this problem with my previous phones with the same wifi connection.

Feb 3, 2014 6:55:24 AM via Website

john walker
Yes the battery life on my new Nexus 5 is crap. But I am not sure if it is due to the horrible wifi at home. But I didn't have this problem with my previous phones with the same wifi connection.

I have heard that nexus5 battery is just awesome !! I don't know why you are complaining about you're battery as Nexus is running KitKat that has hardware sensing batch which greatly reduces the power consumption ???? :unsure:

Feb 3, 2014 10:55:16 AM via Website

After getting my replacement Nexus 5, I noticed I am having the same problems with the battery drain. It looks like it is due to the wifi I am using at home. I now have to put the phone on airport mode when I sleep (which helps) :/ My flatmates iPhone 5 battery seems fine though.

— modified on Feb 3, 2014 10:56:55 AM

Feb 6, 2014 12:33:28 PM via Website

Battery life is major problem nearly all people face in their Smartphone but nexus has come with some high-quality battery status because Google provide both hardware and software in nexus so it will improve.

Feb 6, 2014 12:58:43 PM via Website

john walker
Battery life is major problem nearly all people face in their Smartphone but nexus has come with some high-quality battery status because Google provide both hardware and software in nexus so it will improve.

then why most of the users are saying that battery consumption is a lot more in nexus ?????

Feb 7, 2014 8:41:44 AM via Website

hello guys
before i brought my note 2 a year ago i was promised (by a lot of reviewers of the device) a two days of decent use !
i never got that ! instead i got one day with a minimum use !
any suggestions ?!
any one get the two days use?

Feb 7, 2014 8:58:33 AM via Website

Louay A. Elhai
hello guys
before i brought my note 2 a year ago i was promised (by a lot of reviewers of the device) a two days of decent use !
i never got that ! instead i got one day with a minimum use !
any suggestions ?!
any one get the two days use?

I don't think you could get two days of promised use with Note 2, I may have been possible if you have switched your data connection or Wi-Fi inactive, dim down your display to minimum, and you have enabled power saver, installed a battery saver and keep you phone in the same way than I can promised you two days of decent use. :lol: