IP68 rating for Gear s2

• Replies:2
Jerry Kellam
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 30, 2016, 4:45:19 PM via Website

Just got my Gear S2 back from Samsung repair. Samsung told me it was not repairable, with no other explaination. I had to call Samsung to get an answer. They said water had gotten into device. The only thing I did was to put the watch under the facet to clean the dust off the watch for only a few seconds. I have owned the watch since April 16th. 2016.

The watch has an ip 68 rating so it can be submersed under water for a length of time. This was not true for my watch and the rep from Samsung admitted that the phones S7s and S2 s does not live up to their rating. She said that the phones and watches are no more water proof than early versions were. So be careful with both the phones and the watches. Even washing your hands with the watch on could be a problem.

Now I have a expensive watch that gives the time only. Also I get the notification of phone calls, but no other notications. This was before I sent it to Samsung. Not sure what condition it is in now.

The Samsung rep also said that they are receiving a lot of Samsung S7 phones with water damage and I believe that they are not covering under warranty.

pentel
  • Forum posts: 251

Jun 30, 2016, 7:06:28 PM via Website

Jerry Kellam

Just got my Gear S2 back from Samsung repair. Samsung told me it was not repairable, with no other explaination. I had to call Samsung to get an answer. They said water had gotten into device. The only thing I did was to put the watch under the facet to clean the dust off the watch for only a few seconds. I have owned the watch since April 16th. 2016.

The watch has an ip 68 rating so it can be submersed under water for a length of time. This was not true for my watch and the rep from Samsung admitted that the phones S7s and S2 s does not live up to their rating. She said that the phones and watches are no more water proof than early versions were. So be careful with both the phones and the watches. Even washing your hands with the watch on could be a problem.

Now I have a expensive watch that gives the time only. Also I get the notification of phone calls, but no other notications. This was before I sent it to Samsung. Not sure what condition it is in now.

The Samsung rep also said that they are receiving a lot of Samsung S7 phones with water damage and I believe that they are not covering under warranty.

Interesting account of Samsung ip68 rating devices.

There are plenty of YouTube videos of the Galaxy S7 underwater and still works fine. There is even one in a washing machine.

BillyBaker
  • Forum posts: 10

Apr 5, 2020, 12:17:31 AM via Website

Devices backed by an international standard rating of IP68 are deemed fit enough to withstand dust, dirt and sand, and are resistant to submersion up to a maximum depth of 1.5m underwater for up to thirty minutes.

Great article to read :

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/what-is/ip68/

https://www.audioreputation.com/ipx-ratings-explained/

— modified on Apr 5, 2020, 12:26:56 AM