Everybody wants to know when their device is going to get the Android 5.0 Lollipop update, and one device in particular is being mentioned above all others. We are receiving constant emails, questions and comments on whether the Galaxy S3 is going to receive the latest version of Google's OS. With Android 4.4.4. KitKat being possible on the Galaxy S3, Android 5.0 Lollipop may not be out of the question. Update: Well it seems it wasn't out of the question, and now there is a version of Lollipop available for the popular Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300). Read on for all the details and our tutorial.
The truth is, we don't know if the S3 will officially receive Lollipop, but it seems really unlikely. With Android 4.4.4 not even available on the Galaxy S3 (other than on the Galaxy S3 LTE variant), it seems silly to consider that 5.0 would happen in the future. However, as long as there are smart independent developers, there is hope.
Recently, some clever person over at the XDA forum ported 4.4.4 KitKat to the regular Galaxy S3 (I9300) variation. Because of this, it's plausible that a custom made version of Lollipop may become available at some point in the future, despite it not being officially sanctioned by Samsung.
It's also worth pointing out that Android Lollipop 5.0 is going to run on Google's budget Android One device, which carries the same amount of RAM as Samsung's 2012 flagship. This, coupled with the fact that 4.4.4 is possible on the S3 despite Samsung's claims, certainly gives some credibility to the idea that the S3 could skip 4.4.4 and shoot straight for Lollipop.
Update: Over at the XDA developer forum, regular contributor and Android whizzkid arter97 has developed a working version of an Android Lollipop build for rooted Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) owners. It's a work in progress, with many functions not working yet, and arter97 states "the current release just showcases that our Galaxy S3 is not dead and will likely to receive proper AOSP Lollipop ROMs soon."
Still, if you'd like to install it in its current state, here's how:
How to install Android 5.0 Lollipop on the Galaxy S3
What you need:
- Android 5.0 Lollipop for Galaxy S3 (BasketBuild) ZIP
- arter97 kernel for Galaxy S3 (version 4.0-beta1+)
- A working recovery (CWM/Philz touch or otherwise)
- This ROM comes in a "nandroid backup" format. To install it, all you need to do is restore the backup after putting it on your SD card backup folder.
- Extract the downloaded Galaxy S3 Lollipop ZIP file and copy the ROM back-up file onto > sdcard > clockworkmod > backup.
- Boot up your phone in recovery mode.
- Next, perform a full data wipe (unless you are running a previous version of this ROM)
- Now restore the nandroid backup which you copied to your SD-card
- Finally, flash the downloaded kernel
That's all there is to it. Let us know in the comments if this works for you and head to the XDA forum if you want to help support the Galaxy S3 Lollipop project.
We'll let you know about all of the Galaxy S3 Android 5.0 developments as we get them, for now, if you just want to pretend your S3 has Lollipop, find out how to get Android 5.0 Lollipop apps, UI and features on your phone without root.
And if you are still yet to upgrade to Android 4.4.4 KitKat on your Galaxy S3, follow our guide below.
It's not just the lucky Galaxy S3 LTE owners who are able to get a piece of the Android 4.4.4 KitKat action. Thanks to some smart developers over at XDA, now even regular Galaxy S3s with only 1 GB of RAM are able to run the latest version of the Android software.
User arter97 has posted a KitKat 4.4.4 ROM based on the Galaxy S3 LTE build of the software, which was released earlier in the year. Previously it was said that the Galaxy S3 3G version wouldn’t be able to get the latest KitKat update because it was limited by its 1 GB of RAM, which apparently couldn’t support the demands of the new software, according to Samsung.
Thankfully, it seems that the impossible is possible. You will have to be the owner of a rooted Galaxy S3 to flash the ROM, of course, meaning you will void your warranty should it still be in effect. But arter97 has a reputation for creating stable Android builds and so far the general feedback is all positive. Check out the pictures below to see what's in store.
How to get Android 4.4.4 on Galaxy S3 (I9300)
1. Backup everything on your Galaxy S3 first before proceeding.
2. Head over to XDA to grab the ROM download. You want to save this to the SD card on your phone.
3. Turn off your Galaxy S3 and reboot into Recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Power and Home buttons simultaneously.
4. Wipe all data on your phone for a clean install of the 4.4.4 ROM.
5. Flash the ROM through Recovery and then flash SuperSU. Reboot and you're done.
If you encounter any problems with the ROM, head over to the XDA thread for questions and support. Are you going to install this on your Galaxy S3?