Android 4.4 KitKat might be taking the lions share of the news recently, but there are still devices that are waiting for their time to shine with Android 4.3. While the Android 4.4 rollout schedule has been released, users who have older devices might just have to wait a little bit longer. Well, if you’ve got the Samsung Galaxy S3 an unofficial version of Android 4.3 has been leaked and is now available for you!
This is the first leak of the Galaxy S3 and while it seems to be relatively stable in tests, there could still be some bugs and whatnot that need to be ironed out. As well, since it’s an early build, there may be more features being added by Samsung by the time the official rollout actually begins. Some of the changes coming with this update will be an update of the UI and bringing it in line with the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3.
Country: Germany (Vodafone)
Version: Android 4.3
Build date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 12:24:03 +0000
Product Code: VFG
Well, enough of the filler, let’s get to the nitty and gritty of getting Android 4.3 on your Samsung Galaxy S3.
Download the firmware here.
- Download Odin3 v3.09 (From here or here)
- Extract Odin .ZIP file
- Open Odin3 v3.09
- Restart phone in download mode (Press and hold Home + Power + Volume down buttons)
- Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
- Add AP_I9300XXUGMJ9_1902166_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5 to AP
- Add BL_I9300XXUGMJ9_1902166_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5 to BL
- Add MODEM_I9300BUUGMJ3_REV02_REV04_CL1413323.tar.md5 to CP
- Add CSC_VFG_I9300VFGGMJ5_1986192_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5 to CSC
- Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
- Click start button, sit back and wait a few minutes.
- If you encounter any issues with the firmware (Any FC, Bootloop etc)
- Boot into recovery mode (Home+power+vol up)
- Choose to wipe/factory reset. (THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA INCLUDING YOUR INTERNAL SD CARD!)
- Then choose reboot and you should be good to go!
There you go! Android 4.3 on your Galaxy S3. For those who have gone ahead and installed this, let us know your initial thoughts in the comments below!
[Update 04.11.2013 @ 4:30 PM Berlin Time]
As some very observant commenters posted, the Android 4.3 rollout is now beginning officially for the Samsung Galaxy S3. So really, just hold onto your hats and you'll most likely be seeing this update pushed to your device shortly. The rollout, as usual, is happening in phases and is starting the process over in Europe.
Some of the changes that you can expect from the jump from Android 4.1.2 to Android 4.3 are as follows:
- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- Core UI elements updated to fall in line with Galaxy S4 and Note 3
- New Samsung Keyboard
- New Lockscreen
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications
- Move-to-SD-card feature
- New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
- New Additions in Notification Centre
- Completely revamped Settings UI
- New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
- Full screen Samsung apps
- New S-Voice (from Galaxy S4)