Description*** This app does not work correctly with Android 4.4 (KitKat). *** Google changed the way timers work in KitKat, breaking the app. Please do NOT download this app if you are running Android 4.4 (KitKat) until I update it with a fix!
The Run/Walk Intervals Timer (Timer) is a quick and easy way to enjoy your run/walk interval training while listening to music, enjoying the scenery, enjoying the company of others, and/or recording your run via GPS ... but NOT worrying about keeping track of your intervals. The Timer keeps track of those intervals for you! (The scenery, company of others and GPS NOT included ☺ )
After opening the application, set your desired times and intervals and press Start. The Timer keeps track of the time for each interval, how many intervals you have completed, and the overall time you have spent in the activity.
When an alarm directs you to transition, the Timer will:
- Mute any music
- Vibrate the phone (if selected)
- Tell you to run, walk or cool down (as appropriate)
- Return the music back to its original level
- Vibrate the phone (if selected)
- Display a note instructing you to run, walk or cool down (as appropriate)
- During a phone conversation, the Timer will react to an alarm as if the sound is OFF. The conversation is not interrupted in any way.
You can also use other applications without error while the Timer is running - all audible alarms will be played (sound ON) or notes will be displayed (sound OFF). For example, I use the Timer, Pandora, and My Tracks for testing.
After starting the Timer you can Stop it. Once it is stopped, you are free to either Reset the application back to the default choices or Resume the training values previously setup. Resuming will begin everything exactly where you stopped it at with no loss of information or time.
General application settings are available at Menu | Settings. It contains options for Text-To-Speech, Interval Announcements and the Vibrator.
Select specific run settings on the Timer's main page by clicking on the appropriate edit or toggle button.
- Toggle a warm up interval on or off
- Toggle to run first or walk first (both the Running and Walking toggle buttons function like this)
- Toggle to choose a specific number of interval sets or continue indefinitely
- Toggle a cool down interval on or off
- Select the interval for the associated item
- The 'Stop after' edit button allows you to select how many run / walk intervals you want prior to run completion or the cool down interval firing.
If the sound does NOT work: The Timer uses Android's 'Notifications' audio stream so you must set the sound level for notifications on your phone:
- While at the phone's home screen, click on the Menu button, then Settings.
- In the Settings screen, click on the Sound category.
- Click on the 'Volumes' or 'Set audio volume' entry. The entry may be different on your phone, you are looking for the 'Notifications' audio stream control.
- Set the Notifications audio stream to its maximum. (Personally, I just max out all the audio volumes.)
- There may also be a checkbox labeled "Use incoming call volume for notifications". If checked, RWI will use the incoming call volume instead of the notification volume. If you check it or leave it checked, set the incoming call volume to its maximum.
- Your device may differ slightly from these instructions, but they should be close.
- Click the back button until you get back to your Home screen.
- Start the Timer and the sound should work properly.
Thank you for using Run / Walk Intervals Timer and I hope it helps you to meet your fitness goals.