Ok i know this is stupid but i have to ask?

• Replies:32
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Sep 8, 2010 6:02:10 PM

philly fireman
just got this phone and I would like to root it and upgrade to 2.2 can some one help me.
philly fireman

I'm assuming you are familiar with what rooting is, and the risks you take? What are you looking for exactly? Most (or likely all) of what you need can be found by doing a google search for "Samsung Captivate root method". As for Android 2.2, I know there is an Android 2.2 ROM floating around for the international version, but I don't know if anyone has made one for the captivate.

Sep 9, 2010 4:18:38 PM

when i attempted to root my droid for the first time it bricked 3 times due to a bad download. i was lucky my friend knew what to do. we actually had to put his SD card in my phone and upload his recovery image to my phone to keep it from loop booting.

— modified on Sep 9, 2010 4:19:57 PM

Dec 16, 2010 3:10:01 AM

ookay now i understand what is rooting is all about.....anyway im new on this one and a new android user im using an xperia 8 judging on your comments/posts scared me dont want to brick my phone but i do want to learn on this one :grin:

Dec 16, 2010 2:28:10 PM

edward perez
ookay now i understand what is rooting is all about.....anyway im new on this one and a new android user im using an xperia 8 judging on your comments/posts scared me dont want to brick my phone but i do want to learn on this one :grin:

Have you read this post yet? http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/forum/thread/403299/So-what-exactly-is-rooting-and-is-it-for-me

Dec 17, 2010 1:15:36 AM

@douglas thanks sir for the info on rooting and the links that you provided seems rooting has a it's own downside maybe i should go to the safer side since im a new android user

Mar 1, 2011 2:28:30 AM

there are ways to fix a bricked phone. i bricked my samsung vibrant after it was rooted by trying to install a kernel and I fixed it. it wouldn't go part recovery screen

Mar 7, 2011 12:53:00 AM

ROOTing your phone makes you the Sysop (System Operator) of your phone (system). Allows u full control to do things you normally can't. I recommend viewing the XDA forums for more in-depth discussions on this topic. IF NOT DONE CORRECTLY, U CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE. Brick=Useless, as in boat anchor...

www.XDA.com

Feb 12, 2012 4:11:29 PM

We are running an application which is reading a large file over Bluetooth. We are encountering Heap memory issue. On Android 2.2 on a similar tablet, we could root and use VM heap tool to increase the heap. We are unable to do this on 2.3. Any suggestions? This has become very critical now for our "Go Live"activity. Thanks to all.

Apr 16, 2012 6:09:25 PM

Randy Merrell
I want to "root" my Droid. Can you point me to a website?
hey if your determined to root despite the risks go slow do lots of research about your specific phone as its different for each handset particulary how to recover if something goes wrong. ok that said just Google root and your handset there are lots of forums out there with instructions again don't rush read through them find instructions that are clear and you understand and be prepared for the worst ie have files for recovery ready to go should something fail and know how to put phone back in download mode if it should soft brick these are the things I didn't do my first time and I ended up going a week with no phone after while trying to find solutions. good luck