Rooting my G1 and ROMing Android 2.2

• Replies:14
Douglas Carter
  • Forum posts: 1,891

Dec 15, 2010, 2:26:49 PM via Website

I'm finally doing it. I'm now in the process of rooting and ROMing my G1 and installing an Android 2.2 ROM onto it. The blog section will have to wait for a bit until everything is done. Hopefully everything comes out okay.

Douglas Carter

Dec 15, 2010, 3:52:01 PM via Website

...and I'm stuck trying to get my computer to recognize my Android phone. Tried downloading the drivers and installing them. I see the folder for where the files were installed, but when trying to initiate fast boot, the computer gives me an error saying something about adb and whatnot.

I had some irregularities when trying to install/update the Android drivers. I'm not sure how to get them properly installed.

ireneL
  • Forum posts: 114

Dec 15, 2010, 7:32:45 PM via Website

Hi Douglas,

First thing first, apparently base on what im reading you have to step down from drc92 to drc29 to root, ( can somebody correct me on this one?)

This one gives the step by step direction, if you have the RC29
http://www.talkandroid.com/android-forums/android-hardware/764-computer-wont-recognize-g1.html
http://wiki.allshadow.com/index.php/G1_Root

So much for a one step root..8o

This seems to be backing up the first site...http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news/how-to-root-a-t-mobile-g1-and-mytouch-3g-android-phone/

Well Douglas its been fun following your thread over xda and like me, im pretty certain your head hurts right now.::wacko:

But, hey im rooting for ya. (no pun intended.)hope you succeed!

Never mind Douglas, im feeling your pain right now... Not easy ha? I guess its so much easyer if they just build a file for earth instead of US or UK etc..8o
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=553416

— modified on Dec 16, 2010, 1:58:08 AM

English is my second Language :-)

Frank W.
  • Forum posts: 5,103

Dec 15, 2010, 10:42:10 PM via Website

Hello Douglas,

ezterry (the creator of the hacked new Radio / SPL) said installing the orange.nbh is possible without the downgrade to RC29.

Are you sure it is a driver-problem? What says Wndows if you connect your G1? Ask it for driver? Perhaps you can see it in your Windows control panel if you have a problem with the hardware when you connect your G1.

Frank

"Irgendwann, möglicherweise aber auch nie, werde ich dich bitten, mir eine kleine Gefälligkeit zu erweisen." (Don Corleone) Für ein friedliches Miteinander"

ireneL

Dec 16, 2010, 1:55:21 AM via Website

Hi Douglas,

Im curious if you got it done?
http://www.android-devs.com/?p=3

Frank W.

Dec 16, 2010, 3:44:13 PM via Website

That's right. Don't hurry! If you have a question, I'm on call (are that the right words? :) )

— modified on Dec 16, 2010, 3:44:28 PM

"Irgendwann, möglicherweise aber auch nie, werde ich dich bitten, mir eine kleine Gefälligkeit zu erweisen." (Don Corleone) Für ein friedliches Miteinander"

ireneL

Dec 16, 2010, 3:50:53 PM via App

hi frank, pls don't say that "words" in public, atleast not in texas.lol you may find yourself in some very sticky situation. just an advice..*g*

Douglas Carter

Dec 16, 2010, 4:00:41 PM via Website

irenelopour
hi frank, pls don't say that "words" in public, atleast not in texas.lol you may find yourself in some very sticky situation. just an advice..*g*

It'll be alright, as he's chilling with me in Germany where there are not many Texans :cold: He offered to help me with this endeavor at the AndroidPIT Christmas get-together in Berlin about a week ago.

— modified on Dec 16, 2010, 4:01:05 PM

Frank W.

Dec 16, 2010, 4:05:01 PM via Website

irenelopour

I love google translation. But now you have to say what that "words" mean in Texas. Google means it is something like "allready ready for answer a question". That was it, was I ment. :P

ireneL

Dec 16, 2010, 4:16:36 PM via App

I like Douglas translation also.:-)
l was reffering to the. "on call" words, if you ever make it in texas (you never know, you might one day.) try not to say the words outloud, peeps in here will have you for a meal...lol

Frank W.

Dec 16, 2010, 4:34:59 PM via Website

OK, then for all people from Texas: That words were only for Douglas.

I hope that's enough to save my a... :)

But now I shut up. It's Douglas rooting-thread not my "Texas-party-thread". :P

ireneL

Dec 16, 2010, 4:46:01 PM via App

same here... now to bring the tread back on course...

Douglas, hopefully you won't turn the G1 to paper weight, but in the event you do, in one of the site I posted ( atleast I hope I posted) say that you have to do Rc30 and try again... (can somebody correct me on this one?)

this rooting biz is starting to scare me :-)

Casper Young
  • Forum posts: 8

Sep 30, 2012, 3:01:48 AM via Website

My head hurts after reading so much on updating for my 2 htc g1s. So far I've tried to over a dozen times with the same results. NADA!

Casper Young
  • Forum posts: 8

Oct 14, 2012, 10:15:43 PM via App

I have been studying this process for almost a year now and I'm finally trying to update my HTC G1. I've managed to get to RC29 and have FlashRec.apk installed with RA-Dream-v1.2.2. This is where I've been stalled so far. I can run through about 5 differrent instructions, which do not make this simple for varying reasons. Do I update, one step at a time. Such as going from firmware version 1.0 to 1.5 or 1.6? Then from version to version up? Or can I jump from 1.0 to lets say 2.2, or higher? And then I run into problems like not finding a complete package, if thats what is needed, ( Radio, SPL and Rom. To be flashed in that order supposedly to install!)..
What if any, is a complete way to upgrade my HTC G1, from stock 1.0 firmware, to anywhere above that!! And of all things is there a current, complete way to do so??