How To Factory Reset your Samsung Galaxy S4 (Easy Way)

• Replies:31
  • OpenStickiedUnanswered

Aug 2, 2013 3:17:45 PM via Website

The easiest way to perform a Factory Reset on your Samsung Galaxy S4 is from within the menu settings:

Settings > Accounts > Back Up and Reset > Factory Data Reset > Reset Device > Delete All/Erase Everything.

Please remember to back up any data you want to keep first! In the Factory reset screen you also have the option to Backup My Data and Auto Restore. These are good options to tick before you Factory Reset if you're not too sure how to do this on your own.

If you're at all paranoid about your SIM card or SD card contents just take them out before you do the Factory Reset. Attention: if you reset your device to the factory default with SD card encryption setting enabled, the device will not be able to read your encrypted files. Disable this setting before resetting the device.

Alternatively, you can type in *2767*3855# on the key pad and that will do the same thing.

Remember sometimes you don't need to go even this far to solve problems. First of all try just turning your phone off for a while, or removing the battery entirely. Sometimes something as simple as that is enough to clear up some simple problems.

But if you've tried all of these methods and are still having problems, you can try a Hard Reset, the instructions for which are here.

— modified on Jun 11, 2014 9:25:10 AM by moderator

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Dec 4, 2013 12:53:16 PM via Website

Hi there, I'm having a problem with my galaxy s4, I moved from Canada to South Africa about a month ago, I then had to have my phone unlocked in order to work here.
Well since then my OS system has had major problems and is now disabled some of the OS apps.
Can I do a factory reset without having to get my phone unlocked again...
Thank you for t the help

Dec 4, 2013 2:37:31 PM via Website

Hey @Kim, resetting or updating your device won't affect its unlocked status. Once that's done it's done.

Which apps are disabled? It could be that some of those apps are disabled because of the region you're in. I'm not sure what the situation is with specific apps where you're living but some services are not available everywhere. For example, China can't access the Play Store, Vietnam can't access Facebook and so on. So if there's some blocking in South Africa that might be the cause? You could also try clearing the cache and data from the affected apps in case they're holding onto some old data that isn't meshing with your new location.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Dec 4, 2013 4:23:28 PM via Website

Hi Kris it's actually my update software, context providers, and App installer.
Im not really sure which other ones but I think there is a few more. I have gone and cleared all my cache and data.
So this was the last on my list
Thanks again for your help I appreciate it.
Cheers

Aar
Kris Carlon
Hey @Kim, resetting or updating your device won't affect its unlocked status. Once that's done it's done.

Which apps are disabled? It could be that some of those apps are disabled because of the region you're in. I'm not sure what the situation is with specific apps where you're living but some services are not available everywhere. For example, China can't access the Play Store, Vietnam can't access Facebook and so on. So if there's some blocking in South Africa that might be the cause? You could also try clearing the cache and data from the affected apps in case they're holding onto some old data that isn't meshing with your new location.

Dec 4, 2013 5:52:22 PM via Website

Hey @Kim, here's an article I just wrote about the new Play Store. It has the direct download link for the APK, which you could try reinstalling if you're having problems downloading apps. I'm not sure what a context provider is though! And updates should come from your new carrier. How do you know the update software is disabled?

Dec 16, 2013 2:02:26 AM via Website

Hi There

I set a password today on my Samsung S4. The first time I went in to try and unlock it, the password didn't work. It was a very simple password that I use all the time, but I obviously did something wrong when setting it for the first time. I now cannot unlock my phone!

Is there any way I can factory rest my phone while the screen is locked? I'm pretty up set that this has happened. I have phoned both my phone company and Samsung call centres and neither are very helpful. They keep bouncing me between each other "you need to phone Samgsung to reset it" and then I get "you need to phone the cell phone company to reset it". Is there anything I can do myself.

Feeling a little down :(

Thanks

Dec 16, 2013 9:17:03 AM via Website

hi @Katy. All you need to do is (from a powered off state) press and hold Power, Home and Volume Up buttons to enter fastboot mode. When you see the Samsung Galaxy S4 screen let go of Power but keep holding the other two. Once you see your options pop up with the Android on its back you just use the volume buttons to scroll through the options, select wipe data/factory reset and use the Power button to confirm. Again, scroll down with the volume buttons to highlight Yes, delete user data (or whatever it says, I forget exactly) hit the Power button to confirm. Then select Reboot system now and the phone will do its thing and your password will be gone when it reboots.

Jan 6, 2014 11:57:53 AM via Website

Hello,
After a fall which cracked the screen, my Samsung Galaxy S4's screen is still usable, but the device keeps crashing. The only way to restart it, even with the battery at 100%, is to plug it into the main. While plugged, it is not crashing, but the moment it is off, any attempt at doing anything--boom!

Would a factory reset help? I have to mention I encrypted it--would factory reset brick it? I am reluctant to cash out for screen replacement in case the damage is more substantial.

Most grateful for any advice you might have,

Ana

Jan 8, 2014 12:53:39 PM via Website

Hello sir, i accidentally deleted my System Gallery App from my phone, is there a way to get the gallery app back? do i need to restore factory settings my phone to get the system gallery app back? thanks :)

Feb 26, 2014 8:49:26 AM via Website

HI,
i am having Samsung Galaxy S4. From last few days whenever i am ending a call suddnly Setting notifcation pop up on the screen.
I don't how it comes. But on every call when i drop pop up come on screen to change the setting sound.
Please help

Mar 10, 2014 3:45:15 AM via Website

I hard reset a device with an encrypted SD card. Any way to get the pictures back?

They're still on the card but not showing up properly in the gallery.

— modified on Mar 10, 2014 3:45:39 AM

Mar 20, 2014 12:06:26 PM via Website

hi, i am from india and purchased samsung galaxy s4 in bangkok now problem is when i inserted my sim card it not at all showing network and says it cant connect why ???

Mar 22, 2014 3:40:30 AM via Website

I had the problem of my s4 randomly resetting and inability to unintelligible apps and slow response and a full factory reset so far has fixed my problem.

Mar 23, 2014 6:10:25 PM via Website

@naga To use any Sim, you will need to have an unlocked phone. Are you sure you bought an unlocked GS4? If your carrier offers the Galaxy S 4, buy one of those.

— modified on Mar 23, 2014 6:11:21 PM

Mar 23, 2014 6:14:24 PM via Website

@ana If you dropped it with enough force to crack the screen, you could have caused other damage as well. Normally, I would just recommend trying to get a replacement phone, but since that is expensive and if you had insurance I'm guessing you would've already gone that route, I would try a factory reset. Best of luck! -Jack

Mar 23, 2014 6:16:38 PM via Website

@john That isn't a code, it is simply how you enter the stock android recovery. It works on every phone but some have slightly different buttons, usually due to the lack of a home button.

Apr 30, 2014 10:57:19 AM via Website

@naga it is not connection because the frequency of network signals is different than the Indian network, your device is locked to the Bangkok mobile network frequency it means that your phone is searching for network in different frequency which is not there. Well , what you can do is try going to the local shops I think they might help you in unlocking your device to get the network signals at India. :O