Do you mind app ads or would you rather pay a fee to get rid of them?

• Replies:8
Loie Favre
  • Forum posts: 877

Aug 9, 2013, 5:16:16 PM via Website

Did you notice that Google Maps now has ads in the search results?

Do you find mobile ads pesky and annoying or would you say this is quite normal?

Would you pay a one time fee to get rid of app ads forever? What's your take on this?B)

Russell Berry
  • Forum posts: 8

Aug 14, 2013, 1:48:15 PM via Website

Here at Admin edit: **links are forbidden** many of our clients ask whether they should include ads in their app. We answer this question by considering the app itself. The main factors to consider are:

1. Are you going to charge for your app? If yes, then we would advise excluding banners.
2. Is the main purpose of the app to make money? If yes, then banners could be considered as one of the revenue streams.
3. Will the app include any In-App payment options? If yes, then perhaps exclude banners as the In-Apps will generate your revenue.

When including banners they need to be woven into the design carefully so they don't dominate. We have seen many apps recently that take over the whole screen to force the add on you. An small X allows you to close the advert. Used correctly this can be preferred if only delivered once per app opening instead of every screen in the app having a banner at the bottom.

Whether I would pay a fee for the ads to be removed really comes down to how much I love using the app. If its a part of my daily routine then I would see some worth in paying a small fee to optimise the experience.

— modified on Aug 14, 2013, 4:37:32 PM by moderator

Marshall Harris
  • Forum posts: 18

Aug 14, 2013, 3:55:35 PM via Website

I would pay a small fee to get rid of ads, definitely.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Aug 14, 2013, 5:05:17 PM via Website

It depends, if the ads are small and discrete enough to provide their function without going overboard I'm ok with them, but when they get really intrusive and flashy and obnoxious it can be enough to turn me off an app or website entirely. I'd tend to look for alternatives before I paid for a pro or premium ad-free version. But maybe I'm just a real tight-ass.

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Marcel Jennings
  • Forum posts: 56

Aug 19, 2013, 5:05:13 PM via Website

I don't like ads but I don't want to pay for apps either so I can live with them...

Northernbaygirl
  • Forum posts: 52

Aug 19, 2013, 9:45:27 PM via Website

It depends on a few different things. If the ads are small/un-obtrusive then I don't really mind them too much but if there are loads of them and/or they get in the way then I will look to see what features upgrading to the paid version gives and how much I like it/how often I use the app. If it's something I really like and/or use a lot then I'm happy to buy it if the price is right, if the upgrade is just to remove ads then I will look to see if there is another app that does the same thing (either cheaper,better or with less obtrusive ads)

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 6

Nov 18, 2013, 10:11:01 AM via Website

My perception is bit different, app ads cost me nothing and sometime I really get good and updated apps.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Nov 18, 2013, 3:37:52 PM via Website

I know what you're saying @Vanya...sort of. If an ad is tailored to me specifically, based on my search history, Facebook likes, app-install profile or something, then there's every chance the ads I see will be not only be relevant but more interesting to me (this is obviously the point), but quite often the ads are just random ads (like within game apps for freemium games I'll never install) that just suck up time and space. Instead of the usual image ads I get between levels on games I keep getting video ads now which take longer and use up my data. This I'm not a fan of, but at the same time I'd still prefer they were there and easily ignorable than if I had to pay for the app in the first place!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Deactivated Account

David D.
  • Forum posts: 77

Apr 25, 2015, 9:50:08 AM via App

Loie Favre

Did you notice that Google Maps now has ads in the search results?

Do you find mobile ads pesky and annoying or would you say this is quite normal?

Would you pay a one time fee to get rid of app ads forever? What's your take on this?B)

AdBlocker Plus?