Black Wallpaper Can Save Your Battery

• Replies:14
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Aug 23, 2013 2:42:42 PM

Long story short, if your smartphone has an AMOLED screen, you can actually conserve battery life by using a black wallpaper. AMOLED lights up only the pixels it needs, and black doesn't require any light, so the darker your wallpaper, themes, app settings etc, the longer your battery will last. If you want to read more about this, my article is here and if you want tips on how to stop your battery exploding, read this, and for some additional information about Li-Ion battery care, check out the last part of this article.

Share any other tips and tricks you have for conserving battery life in this forum too, but for starters:
  • Get a black or darker colored wallpaper and stay away from Live Wallpapers. You can download a plain background here.
  • Cluster your apps in folders so you aren't sapping battery life by having a screen full of colored app tiles.
  • Set your device to battery saving mode.
  • Set your screen's timeout setting to as short a time as possible.
  • Set your screen brightness to as low a setting as is comfortable, or enable automatic brightness.
  • Take unnecessary widgets off your home screen (in the images above: I already have the temperature, time, battery level etc in the notifications bar, so the widget is basically unnecessary, and I grouped my social media apps together)
  • If you have themes on your phone, choose a darker colored theme.
  • Red and black will save your battery more than white/yellow and green/blue.
  • You don't necessarily have to go with all black, but the darker the better, or at least something with lots of black areas and only occasional color patches.
  • Check your app settings, many allow you to customize the look of the app interface. WhatsApp for example let's you choose a wallpaper for chats. Again, choosing a black ground will save precious pixel illumination.
  • Have an idea of what your phone usage is like (because battery power is used up by a lot more than just display, although it is the main offender). Try to turn your phone on less (if you're a habitual ''checker'') or get Dynamic Notifications from the Play Store, which gives you the Moto X notification updates on screen, meaning you don't have to unlock your phone to know what the LED notification is for.
What other tips do you know of for making your battery last for as long as possible?

— modified on Aug 23, 2013 2:46:23 PM

Aug 27, 2013 9:03:32 AM

While connecting your device to WiFi turn ON connect to network while display is OFF.
If your device connect and disconnect with display it consumes more battery.

I am Daniel Jones, Working with Kiwitech as app developer. I enjoy exploring apps on various mobile platforms.

Deactivated Account

Nov 7, 2013 11:34:05 AM

yes totally agreed !! i have tried it personally in my tab choosing dark background saves power, while if i choose fancy background having colors consume my battery faster !! :V:V

Deactivated Account

Nov 12, 2013 11:18:54 AM

Oooopss..... have you tried installing du-battery saver app !! it is a superb application that help a lot in saving power .. must give it a shot !!:girl::girl:

Jan 28, 2014 7:20:08 AM

Kris Carlon
I'm afraid not @John. Your device has an IPS LCD display, which is always backlit, so there's nothing you can do in terms of display colors to benefit your battery - a battery saver can help you there though.

Does battery saver apps work i've been hearing a lot of people talking that things like battery saver just do is changing the settings like dim down you display etc. It is not going to help you out, Is it true ???

John Farrell Technical Consultant http://www.rapidsofttechnologies.com/

Feb 11, 2014 1:11:10 AM

Hi @John, I'm not going to say a battery saver app isn't going to work, but I do everything to prolong my battery life manually just out of habit and interest. A lot of people complain that battery saver apps actually chew more battery. But there are some good ones - check some Play Store reviews before you pick one - but even then I'd suggest doing a few days worth of 'test' first and then compare that with the same kind of usage following the installation of a battery saver app. That way you can decide for yourself based on the results you actually experienced.

Feb 14, 2014 6:27:55 PM

Well it depends John, it sounds like DU is working for you in a positive way. But I read reports all the time that various battery saver apps actually suck the battery more than the problem that started it. No idea if DU is on that list but I'm glad it's working for you.