How to delete WhatsApp numbers (but not necessarily the whole contact)

• Replies:10
  • Stickied
Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Feb 4, 2014, 5:42:05 PM via Website

Because WhatsApp uses the phone numbers on your device to get your contact list, the only way to delete old phone numbers from WhatsApp is to delete the corresponding contact's phone number in your smartphone. But if it's still important to keep it there's a trick you can use. But first, the basics:

• Just go to your phone's Contacts or People app (or whatever your OEM calls it).
  • Find the contact you want to delete the WhatsApp contact number for.
  • Edit the contact or modify contact (or whatever your OEM calls it).
  • Find the phone number you want removed from WhgatsApp and delete it (or delete the entire contact).
  • Back in WhatsApp, the contact you deleted the number for will be be gone (unless they have other phone numbers saved that WhatsApp is using). If you have an older version of WhatsApp you can go to Settings and Refresh Contacts.

If you simply want to delete a contact or specific number from WhatsApp but still need the phone number for reference, you can simply edit the contact on your phone and move their phone number to the Notes section of your Contacts app. WhatsApp will think they have been deleted and you can still grab their number whenever you need it - you'll just have to copy and paste into the dialer if you ever need to call.

Of course, you can also block a WhatsApp contact if that's necessary too!

— modified on Feb 4, 2014, 5:45:05 PM

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Minakshee

EdwardSmith36
  • Forum posts: 85

Jan 13, 2016, 10:07:29 AM via Website

You will have to delete it from the main contact list, or else just block them.

Vivek Patel
  • Forum posts: 1

May 31, 2016, 6:37:49 AM via Website

U can do one thing if u don't want to delete whole contact .

1) delete the whatsapp link from contact as Kris said .
2 ) still if it's there , then move the contact into sim card or other email ID .
3) then costumise your contact list , remove that email ID or card from list of contact to be shown . and save it.
(In Samsung go to dialer app - setting -contact- costumise list - then deselect the my contact from email ID . ) then save .
4) after that go to whatsapp - setting - contact and delselct the show all contact option . (filter hidden contact )
Now your contact will not be displayed in whatsapp.
Number will be in directory whenever u select the Google ID .

Anisha

Anisha

Jun 8, 2018, 7:11:13 PM via Website

I followed your steps by moving the contact number in notes and it was a success....but one small ques.
Will I receive the message in what's app from the contact (person) which I had removed from what's app but not from contact app.

Looking forward for ur reply

Minakshee

Dec 20, 2018, 9:17:44 AM via Website

Can you tell me where is notes section in contacts app in redmi note 5 pro
Please reply soon sir
Thank you.

Shailendra

Jul 27, 2019, 4:51:22 AM via Website

Same I didn't see the note section while editing contact

WillyHank
  • Forum posts: 6

Jun 24, 2020, 2:26:53 PM via Website

So easy!
I didn't know how to do it for so long.

Bob Drake
  • Forum posts: 15

Jun 24, 2020, 11:55:34 PM via Website

That is really easy! I didn`t know it is so easy!

— modified on Jun 24, 2020, 11:55:52 PM

travolttt
  • Forum posts: 14

Jun 25, 2020, 2:58:05 PM via Website

thanks, it was helpful!

John V. Bullard
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 17, 2021, 9:41:02 AM via Website

The number of people who use WhatsApp is increasing day by day. Today, WhatsApp is the most used social platform for making friends and family. But your WhatsApp account can be hacked and your number can be changed by others. So WhatsApp also needs to delete the number of your friends and family members. Many people have been using WhatsApp for a long time and want to delete the WhatsApp number of their friends and family. If you want to delete WhatsApp numbers, then you can do this step by step via Whatsapp. You can also delete Whatsapp numbers in Whatsapp when you do not need Whatsapp numbers

Billu Bansal
  • Forum posts: 18

Feb 19, 2024, 10:52:23 AM via Website

You need to delete the corresponding contact's phone number from your mobile's contacts or People app. Then simply locate the contact, edit/modify it, find the phone number you want to remove, and delete it. Moreover, if you want to keep the number for reference, you can move it to the Notes section of your Contacts app.