How to clear the system cache for the Samsung Galaxy S3

• Replies:18
  • Stickied
Scott Adam Gordon
  • Forum posts: 445

Jun 30, 2014, 1:01:01 PM via Website

Hey AndroidPIT readers,

If you have problems with your Samsung Galaxy S3 and that the smartphone isn't working properly, a good solution to this is to wipe the system cache of the phone. You don't even need to do a hard reset. In fact, deleting the system cache will NOT delete any of your personal info, but only the background and application cache. Cache is stored data on the phone which allows apps to load quicker, it's like the data is on standby until you need it again. Wiping it simply means that the app will have to reload the data.

Here's how it's done:

Turn off phone
Remove the battery and reinsert.
Hold down the Home and Volume Up keys
Press and hold the Power button while still holding the other keys.
As soon as you see the Samsung logo, release all keys/buttons.
Press on the Volume Down to scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition.
Press the Power button to select it.
Press the Volume down button to highlight "Yes" and press the Power Button to select it.
Wait for a few minutes for the phone to clear the data.
Then press the Power button to select reboot system now.
Wait for your phone to reboot.

There you go! Your system cache should be wipe and leave you with a much more fluid smartphone.

Did this work for you?

Find out about how to factory reset your Samsung Galaxy S3
Find out how to hard reset your Samsung Galaxy S3

— modified on Sep 30, 2014, 2:55:57 PM

Clive SparksNisha PatelDeactivated AccountAmy ShutlerPaul Casey

Teresa Ellis
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 29, 2014, 4:12:51 AM via Website

I am trying to perform this cache clear due to battery issues and charging issues. The process looks as if it is working but then says error. Any ideas? This is a warranty replacement phone. I am trying to make it last until the 6 comes out. Thanks!

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Sep 29, 2014, 4:58:09 AM via Website

Teresa Ellis

I am trying to perform this cache clear due to battery issues and charging issues. The process looks as if it is working but then says error. Any ideas? This is a warranty replacement phone. I am trying to make it last until the 6 comes out. Thanks!

What error does it says ?

Ready To Help You.

Teresa Ellis

Oct 1, 2014, 4:12:02 PM via Website

It just says error with no specifics.

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Oct 2, 2014, 5:12:17 AM via Website

Teresa Ellis

It just says error with no specifics.

This might be a bug on software. You need to wipe data / factory reset or do a re-flashing with latest firmware. If you don't care about the data . :)

— modified on Oct 2, 2014, 5:18:59 AM

Ready To Help You.

Teresa Ellis

Oct 3, 2014, 5:00:52 AM via Website

Yeah, I don't care about losing everything. Haha. If that is all I can do, I will let VZW replace it again through the warranty replacement thing I pay for. This is a replacement from just a couple of months ago. (Probably refurbished). Can't wait to have to set this one all up again. Nightmare!

Leslie Guarino
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 20, 2014, 12:25:39 AM via Website

I performed the above cache wipe and everything seemed to go fine until reboot. The phone has been stuck in the white T Mobile 4G LTE screen for about an hour now.

Leslie Guarino
  • Forum posts: 2

Nov 20, 2014, 1:01:22 AM via Website

Leslie Guarino

I performed the above cache wipe and everything seemed to go fine until reboot. The phone has been stuck in the white T Mobile 4G LTE screen for about an hour now.

Well, it's not on the 4G LTE screen anymore. It has turned itself off and I cannot turn back on.

Teresa Ellis

Nov 24, 2014, 6:10:55 PM via Website

It's me again. I am having problems with slow charging now. Not the battery or the cable. The phone won't do the above so I have been reading about apps that clear the cache. Do they work? Which one is best? Any thoughts or help is appreciated. I really do not want to do a warranty replacement again. My old one would do this at times but then it would straighten up again. I'm trying to wait because I want the new model that's coming out in March or April. Thanks in advance!

Alex Armstrong
  • Forum posts: 1

Mar 16, 2015, 6:16:19 AM via Website

There is this update that keeps appearing on my phone every 3 days. Every time I update it, it tells me that there is an error with the cache, even after I wipe it. Then it tells me that the installation is aborted. I need some help please!

reinold p
  • Forum posts: 3,401

Mar 16, 2015, 7:48:06 AM via Website

• Switch off automatic updates. Save your data.
  • Download actual firmware from sammobile.com and flash it with Odin.
  • Boot into recovery and do a factory reset.

— modified on Mar 16, 2015, 7:49:54 AM

Andrea

Jun 13, 2015, 4:00:50 AM via Website

theclear cache method does not work it prompts it to the menu and then nothing is cleared

Churchboy Uzoma

Feb 1, 2016, 11:07:50 AM via Website

SGS3 Firmeware Flash downlaod mode: how long dose it need to come up again becuse my phone is writing Downloading...... Do not turn off taget

Karen Henry

Sep 8, 2016, 4:25:14 PM via Website

I just followed these instructions for my Galaxy S3. As they seem to work, I'll be saving them in case I should need them again. I also uninstalled a bunch of apps that I had downloaded over time to try and then never used. It's amazing how much this stuff jams up your phone.

Thanks!

Vijay Prasath

Oct 5, 2016, 9:42:21 PM via Website

I did all the steps mentioned in the mail to remove cache memory but now my phone Samsung galaxy S3 is not charging and getting hanged frequently. Any help would be much appreciated

Hnaillrty
  • Forum posts: 11

Apr 17, 2017, 4:29:34 AM via Website

You need to wipe Samsung jusk data out

Roshni Sharma
  • Forum posts: 15

Apr 21, 2018, 8:25:19 AM via Website

Thanks man!

Roshni Sharma
  • Forum posts: 15

Apr 21, 2018, 8:26:04 AM via Website

Try: press and hold Power Off button till it gets turn off.

And then, try again.

juliejames
  • Forum posts: 8

Aug 1, 2018, 9:43:08 AM via Website

Thanks

Thomas Pillar