Motorola Moto G — Moto G only works on speaker

• Replies:8
Sue Perry
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 31, 2014, 10:45:36 PM via Website

I got this phone about 2 weeks ago. All of a sudden I am unable to hear when someone calls me, and they are unable to hear me when I call out.

I found that by putting it on speaker it works, that seems to be the only way.

Everything else seems to work fine.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Ed Cop
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 11, 2014, 7:35:34 PM via Website

i had the same problem i disabled Motorola Assist now the phone is very loud best speaker phone
and calls are great.THIS IS WHY I KEEP THIS PHONE CALL QUALITY ROCKS
by now every one must have figured this out

jplee3

Sep 28, 2014, 3:00:02 PM via Website

I'm having the same exact problem as Sue. I noticed the phone stopped working within the past day or so. If I'm on regular handset mode I can't hear anything and the receiving caller cannot hear me. If I switch to speaker-mode I can hear the receiver and the receiver can hear me. I'm not quite sure what's going on but I've disabled Motorola Assist, removed any recent apps I installed and especially those dealing with voice recognition, etc, and also wiped the partition and davlik caches. Does anyone know why this is happening?

The only thing I can think of is that I quickly rinsed the phone off (which I've done several times before and was comfortable doing per the many "moto g waterproof" tests I've seen) after getting home and noticed that after that is when I think things started happening. So I'm thinking maybe the phone got water damaged? But why would speakerphone still work?

I also noticed that I can't play or hear any audio from the phone (via Youtube or Google Play, etc). If I plug in earbuds or headphones though, it works. It's really weird that voice calls via speakerphone still work though. Unfortunately, this is a Boost mobile pre-owned device that I got that only has a 14-day satisfaction guarantee (and it's been well over 14 days). Plus, I flashed it to work on Verizon/PagePlus...

I think I might be SOL with this :(

— modified on Sep 28, 2014, 3:07:52 PM

Deepak taneja
  • Forum posts: 4

Sep 29, 2014, 3:59:33 PM via App

it's a hardware fault go to motorola care and ask for replace phone

jplee3

Sep 30, 2014, 6:04:48 AM via Website

Deepak taneja

it's a hardware fault go to motorola care and ask for replace phone

Turns out, I'm pretty sure, it was from doing a quick-rinse. The mic and or speaker components may have gotten slightly wet and probably shorted on calls and what not. I think the volume overall may have gotten affected too but at this point, after some time everything seems to work again (after everything inside that got wet dried out, I'm guessing). Anyway, lesson learned. I definitely won't be rinsing the phone off anymore haha. I really need to find a fully waterproof phone :P

Christie Rodriguez
  • Forum posts: 70

Oct 7, 2016, 2:44:54 PM via Website

1. If you hear a buzzing sound on the earpiece during a call, you should first test it to see whether there is an issue with the earpiece itself. To do so, you have to first make sure that USB Debugging is enabled, by going into Settings – Developer Options – USB Debugging. Then dial ##2486## in the dialer, and that should open up the test menu. Select the first bar, then select Audio, click on Earpiece, and choose Buzz Test. Hold the phone to your ear, and you will hear a harmonic sound that starts on a lower frequency and goes to an higher frequency, that will repeat. If you don’t hear any distortion in this loop that is played, then there are no issues with your earpiece at all.

2. If you do have a faulty earpiece, the only solution is to go pick up a replacement device. If there’s nothing wrong with the device, then go into Settings – Sound – Audio Effects, and turn it off. If that doesn’t work, in the Audio effects section, go into Speaker, and turn the equalizer off. That should do the trick, but if it doesn’t you may need to flash a lower firmware version. You can find out more about that process here.

3. If you’re facing any other issues with audio quality, go into Audio Effects, and you can change the equalizer settings in the Wired Stereo and Speaker sections separately.

Angela K.
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 2, 2018, 1:34:19 AM via Website

I had the same problem with 2 different mobile brands and I checked out another forum who advised it was to do with an update and they said to disable chrome app, force stop as well and then restart the phone. I did this with my 2017 Sony Xperia and wella, it has now defaulted back to hearing through the actual phone up to the ear but the older phone it does not work on which is a ZTE Blade L5 so not happy Jan. I have tried everything I have seen as suggested but still it won’t work so tomorrow I will ring the manufacture but I also believe it to be an update problem. My reason for this is because when I first got the phone and a call came in there was a white bar at the top that said REJECT OR ANSWER and you just hit which one you wanted but after an updat the ANSWER, REJECT option completely changed and came up as a circle of dots and a red or green phone and you swiped either one of these across the screen to answer or reject. I am going to now take it back to factory reset and hopefully it will work. Hope it works.

Jim121FC
  • Forum posts: 17

Oct 2, 2023, 8:24:03 AM via Website

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to test your speaker through diagnostic mode.

Journey Through Time
  • Forum posts: 28

Oct 2, 2023, 7:10:03 PM via Website

The issue you're experiencing with your Motorola Moto G, where you can only hear and be heard when using the speakerphone during calls, can be caused by various factors. Here are some troubleshooting steps to help you identify and potentially resolve the problem:

Restart Your Phone: Begin by restarting your phone. Sometimes, minor software glitches can cause audio issues, and a simple restart may resolve them.

Check Volume Settings: Make sure that the call volume is turned up. During a call, use the volume buttons to increase the call volume to the maximum.

Remove Screen Protector or Case: Sometimes, screen protectors or cases can cover the microphone or speaker, affecting call quality. Remove any screen protector or case and test the phone without them.

Clean Microphone and Speaker: Dust, debris, or dirt can accumulate in the microphone or speaker grille. Use a small, soft brush or compressed air to clean these areas carefully.

Check for Software Updates: Ensure that your phone's operating system and apps are up to date. Software updates may include bug fixes that can resolve audio issues.

Test in Safe Mode: Boot your phone into Safe Mode to check if a third-party app is causing the problem. If the issue doesn't occur in Safe Mode, it's likely caused by an app you've installed. You can then uninstall recently added apps one by one to identify the culprit.

Clear Cache Partition: Clearing the cache partition can help resolve system-related issues. The exact steps may vary depending on your phone model, but it usually involves booting into recovery mode and selecting the "Wipe Cache Partition" option.

Factory Reset: As a last resort, if none of the above steps work, you can perform a factory reset on your phone. Be sure to back up your important data before doing this, as it will erase all data on your device.

Hardware Check: If the problem persists after trying all the software-related solutions, it's possible that there is a hardware issue with the phone's speaker or microphone. In this case, you may need to contact Motorola customer support or visit a service center for repairs.

Please note that performing a factory reset should be a last resort, and you should only do it if you've exhausted all other troubleshooting options, as it will erase all your data and settings on the device. If the problem remains unresolved after trying these steps, it's best to seek professional assistance to diagnose and fix the issue.