Samsung Galaxy Tab — How do i associate an app with a file type?

• Replies:6
Annette Elmore
  • Forum posts: 1

Sep 14, 2019, 11:46:11 PM via Website

I am a guitar player and have downloaded some gp5 guitar tabs.

I have also downloaded tuxguitar which can play gp5 files.

When i try to open the files from myfiles i get cannot open file search googleplay.

When i open the files with total commander im given a list of apps and have to select tuxguitar every time.

How do i set tuxguitar to always always open gp5 files?

Why is everything so difficult in android?

Annette galaxy tab a 10.1 6

marco sarli
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 1,011

Sep 15, 2019, 7:12:15 AM via Website

I found this:
If you want to set the file associations (which file type is opened by which app by default) in Android, then you can follow these simple steps:

Open File Manager and browse the the folder containing the files that you want to associate with a particular app.
Long tap on a target file type until a menu opens up. For example, I want to associate JPEG files with QuickPic, so I long tapped on a random JPEG file. Select Open With from the options that show up.Android File Associations
Android will show you all the apps installed in your device that are capable of opening the target file type. Select one of these apps that you want to associate with these files. Check the checkbox that says Remember selection. Then tap on Open to continue.Android File Associations
This will set the target file types to be opened with the selected app and open that file in that app as well.

Helpful?
marco sarli
  • Admin
  • Forum posts: 1,011

Sep 15, 2019, 7:41:46 AM via Website

By the way doing things in Android is not too difficult. It is just a matter of doing a bit of research and a lot of things are possible, even more if you root your phone.Other OS do not allow as much freedom as Android plus a lot of things that are free in Android come at a cost with other OS.

— modified on Sep 15, 2019, 7:42:25 AM

Helpful?
Spicoli_In_GR
  • Forum posts: 2

Jun 15, 2020, 11:10:38 AM via Website

"...Android will show you all the apps installed in your device that are capable of opening the target file type"

What if Android doesn't show you all the apps? I'm trying to open a .log file and have text editors installed, but the system will not allow me to make the connection. It wants me to search the Play Store for a log file reader...

Helpful?
Spicoli_In_GR
  • Forum posts: 2

Jun 15, 2020, 11:41:28 AM via Website

I believe I've figured this one out on my own.

When I download a .zip file from email containing a couple of .log files, the Unzip operation would occur in Samsung My Files by default. After extracting the files to my Downloads folder, I would try to open one of the .log files and would be promted to look for an app in the Play Store.

I downloaded a Log Viewer app but Samsung My Files still would not make the connection and keeps directing me back to the Play Store.

I solved the problem by removing Samsung My Files as the default File Viewer app. I did this by going to the Play Store and choosing to Uninstall the app. It didn't uninstall completely, but apparently broke the default association between the My Files app and extracting .zip files since it asked which program I'd like to use to open the .zip file. I chose my file manager app of choice (Solid Explorer) and now I can open .log files in the correct app.

Hopefully this helps someone else not be so frustrated with this horrible app!

Helpful?
Phil Reinie

Jun 7, 2021, 7:11:50 PM via Website

My Verizon Moto G6 says "no app is capable of opening this file", and it doesn't direct me to the play store to get an app.

It's a plain ASCII text file with a different extension other than .txt.

Docs (native document app) and MS Word are on the phone and both should be able to open it.

So basically, I can't remove "Samsung my files", so how do I tell my phone (Android 9/pie) to use Docs to open the file?

Helpful?
Hall-O-Gram Creations (Hall-O-Gram Creations)
Hall-O-Gram Creations (Hall-O-Gram Creations)

Sep 6, 2022, 8:15:50 PM via Website

Thank you! I have been unable to associate file types like .watch with watchmaker for a long time. The only app that it would list is GPS for some dumb reason. Once I uninstalled the Samsung My Files app, I was able to see more apps and I could pick Watchmaker as the app. Thank you all so much.

Helpful?