At last, I hear you say! There's only days left before Nexus owners get Android 4.4 KitKat and Samsung Galaxy S4 owners are at last getting a glimpse of Android 4.3 in the US. S4 owners on the Verizon network are the first to get 4.3 Jelly Bean on their snazzy Samsung flagship. No, this is not a Halloween prank (as far as we know), but it's a welcome, albeit surprising, turn of events for the cellular network with the worst reputation for updating their devices in a timely fashion.
Verizon is the first of the major carriers to release the long-awaited update which has already rolled out across large parts of Europe. Besides the usual 4.3 improvements, S4 owners will get Gear support, TRIM functionality, Samsung Knox and Wallet, an additional LTE band (Band 4) and some other improvements to security, stability and so on. Sadly though, the S4's GPU cannot support the OpenGL ES3.0 graphics standard, so you won't see any significant boosts in graphical support, although the update brings some color reporduction improvements.
If you haven't already seen the over the air update appear, just go to your device Settings, scroll down to ''About phone'' and punch that Software Update button until you get your Jelly Bean in time for Halloween.
Just to recap, the new Android 4.3 on the Galaxy S4 will feature:
- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (Makes the device much faster)
- ANT+ Support
- Samsung KNOX Implementation (KNOX bootloader and dedicated application)
- Samsung Wallet comes pre-loaded
- Improved RAM management
- Improved Display colour reproduction (Display looks much sharper than before)
- Improved TouchWiz Launcher (Much less launcher redraws and less lag)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- New Samsung Browser (Full screen by default, new tab interface and more)
- New Reading Mode (Optimises display for reading, used by only a few specific applications)
- New Camera firmware
- Minor UI tweaks (Contacts app, Flashlight Widget, dialog boxes etc)
Have you got the update yet? Have you noticed any other changes on your S4?