Pops App

• Replies:7
Anette West
  • Forum posts: 106

Aug 12, 2011, 10:29:51 AM via Website

Hi everyone,

So after reading a review of the Pops app online I thought, "hmmm, maybe I'll give it a download." After all, I really like the idea of customizing the notification you get when you receive an SMS or E-Mail. Downloaded the app and it made me sign this super-lengthy user agreement. I was like, uhhh, okay. Started playing around with it and the animations are total crap. I hate it. It like shows really bad imitations of Android robots falling from the sky. So, naturally, I wanted to uninstall it, but when I went to click the uninstall button, it didn't work! Does anyone know what might be going on? I want to get rid of this app! It even reads your GMail, SMS, MMS messages, as well as your contact data and phone calls!! SICK. What is going on???

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Aug 12, 2011, 10:38:41 AM via Website

Hi Anette,

Unfortunately, many, many apps have access to your text messages and sensitive data. But it is weird that it won't install. Have you tried moving the app to the SD card and then uninstalling?

Anette West

Aug 12, 2011, 10:40:05 AM via Website

Success! Just moved app to SD card and I was, indeed, able to uninstall it from there. Thank you so much! But why did it ask to read my text messages? And where is it sending that info? CREEPY.

Marvin Cleaver
  • Forum posts: 150

Aug 12, 2011, 10:41:27 AM via Website

Anette,

Why do you think you're able to download cool apps like this for free? Because the devs send your information to advertisers. That's just how it works.

Anette West

Aug 12, 2011, 10:47:30 AM via Website

I just took a look at the user agreement. It looks like it simply collects information on how many text messages you receive, the type of third party network that you prefer using and the type of animations you like to use.

Hmmm...now I feel like I got really upset over nothing. :*)

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Aug 12, 2011, 10:49:16 AM via Website

You shouldn't be embarassed Anette. It's important to understand how these apps access our data and to be very careful about what kind of apps we install. I think everyone should always read license agreements, but I think they seldom do. You've inspired me to create a poll on our Facebook page about that, though. :bashful:

Yaron Orenstein
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 4:01:42 PM via Website

Hey Anette, Steve & Marvin,

My name is Yaron and I'm one of Pops co-founders.
I appreciate your feedback and I would like to provide you with some more details that might put some light on the important issues you raised.
"Terms and Conditions" must be included in any website, service and an app that is interacting with an end user and this is the only reason we do that.
As you already understood, we do not look into ANY of the messages going to through your mobile device and we are not selling nor planning on advertising you anything based on the context of the incoming messages.

We need the access to the incoming notifications only because of the fact the we, at the end, need to personalize these notifications with your preferred animation.

I understand that you don't like our animations, we are working hard to make new packages available every week and hopefully you will like others in the future.

I hope you will give us a second chance in the future.
Thanks again for the cultural discussion.

Yaron

Trent Neuman
  • Forum posts: 16

Aug 12, 2011, 5:15:30 PM via Website

Glad it worked out for you

— modified on Aug 12, 2011, 5:16:51 PM