Hard Reset your Samsung Galaxy Note 2

• Replies:159
  • Stickied
Henry Denis
  • Forum posts: 2

Jul 15, 2014, 5:45:29 AM via Website

Hello Kris,

Recently i encounter some problems with my Notell. My Nll screen just suddenly flash the bootup screen and then after a while it just fuzzy white screen all the way. I try to remove the battery and reboot but same. i bring it to the samsung service centre and they told me that my processor boards are faulty and ask me to replace. i went for a 2nd opinion and the other guy told me its LCD problem. I got frustrated and i google for some info and found your advice on hard reset. I did the volume down, power key and home key hold and i manage to get into a screen where it prompt for custom OS download thing. Since i have no option i hit the down key to proceed with the download and it switch screen with a android icon with "downloading... Do not turn off target!!". so is this the hard reset you are talking about? Also from the above description, the issue with my nll lies on the processor board? Thanks.

Henry Denis

Jul 15, 2014, 5:47:03 AM via Website

its has been about 2hrs and my nll is still on the screen "downloading...."

Deactivated Account
  • Forum posts: 770

Jul 15, 2014, 6:50:44 AM via Website

you need to press Volume up + Home key + power button
then clear cache then wipe data/factor reset

looks like a hardware problem but can't say whether it is a screen problem or processor problem .

— modified on Jul 15, 2014, 6:54:25 AM

Ready To Help You.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jul 15, 2014, 10:00:52 AM via Website

This is odd. I've had the static screen on a G2 but it was a graphics card problem and the entire device had to be replaced.

You've entered download mode which is not necessarily what you want (but you might want to try if the following doesn't work).

You need to press volume UP, home and power to enter the fastboot menu and access recovery to do the factory reset. You've pressed volume down, which takes you to download mode (which is where you flash new firmware).

If the factory reset doesn't work then you can try flashing the current firmware again. Just look up your model number (country, carrier) if you don't already know it and look for the latest firmware on Sam Mobile's firmware page. Then connect your Note to your PC and use the program Odin to put the new firmware on your device. We have tutorials for this on the site, just substitute the right files etc for the latest version of Android for your Note 2 and country/carrier.

I would have said you had a GPU issue based on the static screen, but if you can access download mode ok then maybe it's something else entirely. I'm no repair engineer so I tend to go with educated guesses and trial and error. Try the reset and if that doesn't work try flashing the firmware again with Odin and if none of that works let us know and we'll see what's next. Good luck!

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

Ali Raza

Jul 27, 2014, 4:50:09 PM via Website

If i perform hard reset i will lose all my data ??

Deactivated Account

Jul 27, 2014, 5:02:43 PM via Website

Ali Raza

If i perform hard reset i will lose all my data ??

you will loose all your download apps and games
Hard Reset wipes everything including the contents of your internal SD Card. Whatever firmware you last flashed will be the firmware you get back, but everything else will be wiped.

Ready To Help You.

Kris Carlon
  • Forum posts: 1,110

Jul 28, 2014, 6:32:04 PM via Website

Hi @Ali, we have a few tutorials on the site about doing backups. I'd recommend doing a few: make a backup with an app or cloud service, do a full backup or Nandroid (if you have root), use Helium through your PC if you don't have root to do a full backup and then copy your pictures and music yourself to your computer or an external hard drive just for safe keeping. It may seem silly to double up but you can do all of this in about ten minutes - and it's ten minutes you'll wish you spent if you ever have a process go wrong (reseting, flashing, updating etc).

Follow Kris on Google+ and Twitter / Forum Rules - Recommended for new AndroidPIT members! / Important to all community members: please read before posting

farhanah

Aug 12, 2014, 4:58:07 PM via Website

Hey i have the same problem as Kuro! The device was charging overnight, and in the morning, when i was checking through all my messages my note 2 screen suddenly when black! I have no idea why. Now i am able to turn it off and hear all the sounds that the note 2 makes and it functions similarly as it was before except for the fact that i can't seem to see anything on the screen because its totally black! Please please help me! ;(

Deactivated Account

Aug 12, 2014, 5:11:19 PM via Website

farhanah

Hey i have the same problem as Kuro! The device was charging overnight, and in the morning, when i was checking through all my messages my note 2 screen suddenly when black! I have no idea why. Now i am able to turn it off and hear all the sounds that the note 2 makes and it functions similarly as it was before except for the fact that i can't seem to see anything on the screen because its totally black! Please please help me! ;(

This will be a hardware problem. Your phone need a repair ..

— modified on Aug 12, 2014, 5:11:29 PM

Ready To Help You.

farhanah

Aug 12, 2014, 5:16:16 PM via Website

Er are you real or are you an automated answer?Er thanks anywaysss

Deactivated Account

Aug 12, 2014, 5:47:44 PM via Website

farhanah

Er are you real or are you an automated answer?Er thanks anywaysss

Remove the battery for 10 minutes and put it back.. see if there is any changes. :D
if it doesn't works then get a repair

— modified on Aug 12, 2014, 5:48:30 PM

Ready To Help You.

Martin Trevor
  • Forum posts: 1

Aug 30, 2014, 9:00:37 PM via Website

hi, i need to hard reset my phone blow away everything BUT! my screen is completely smashed however the phone is functioning. i therefore cannot interact with it. i read your first instructions but cannot see what to choose. would you be able to instruct exactly how many clicks or scrolls with the volume buttons etc? many thanks - MKT

carlo acierda

Sep 4, 2014, 12:20:19 PM via Website

My note 2 is stuck on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 screen so I tried doing the hard reset. But when it reboots it stays stuck again... anything else I can do?

Deactivated Account

Sep 4, 2014, 12:26:27 PM via Website

carlo acierda

My note 2 is stuck on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 screen so I tried doing the hard reset. But when it reboots it stays stuck again... anything else I can do?

You can re-flash you phone with odin or use emergency firmware recovery from kies

Ready To Help You.

carlo acierda

Sep 4, 2014, 12:47:18 PM via Website

mobile crackers

carlo acierda

You can re-flash you phone with odin or use emergency firmware recovery from kies

sorry sir, I have no idea how to that, can you teach me please? I really need my phone, all of my important details are saved in my S-Note =( thank you so much for replying...

Kristina K.

Oct 9, 2014, 2:41:31 AM via Website

Hi Kris,

I have a Note 2 that is now three years old. It started to freeze up over and over, even after a battery removal and fresh reboot, all within 5 minutes. I followed your instructions for a "factory reset" and whoa am I glad I did that. I want to say a BIG THANK YOU for your website! :-)

shao

Oct 13, 2014, 11:13:50 AM via Website

hi, i can't update my os, if i do hard reset or factory reset, will it be fixed?

Deactivated Account

Oct 13, 2014, 2:48:14 PM via Website

shao

hi, i can't update my os, if i do hard reset or factory reset, will it be fixed?

you don't need to do that. Just download the firmware from sammobile then flash it with odin

Ready To Help You.

Charles Provencher

Oct 17, 2014, 5:36:42 PM via Website

Just did a hard reset on my Note 2 and it's a painful process. I just discovered that the "contacts backup" I did yesterday didn't actually save my contacts, and after syncing it back I'm missing quite a few. I have NO idea how I'm going to find a few phone numbers that were lost.....

A backup question that I've never found an answer to. Is there a way to save web browser bookmarks??? I've been forced to copy and paste them all into a document.

Joaquin Martinez
  • Forum posts: 6

Oct 21, 2014, 11:15:18 PM via Website

Hi Kris,

I just performed a fabric reset by the menu option on my Note 2, this phone has a little history, it is a mexican phone that was manipulated to be unlocked, not sure on how got unlocked, but since unlock network use was terrible, it only worked on H or E newtworks, when we arrived to US, I bought a T-mobile sim card and it worked, but still network use was horrible, so I decided to try to remove whatever was made on the phone while unlocking it and fabric reset it. Now after doing it, I'm facing a problem, phone is not restarting, it stays in the samsung screen and doesn't complete restart process, I have already removed battery and restarted again, but same thing happen, can you please help me? what can I do to get it working?

— modified on Oct 21, 2014, 11:16:19 PM

Deactivated Account

Oct 22, 2014, 3:33:35 AM via Website

Joaquin Martinez

Hi Kris,

I just performed a fabric reset by the menu option on my Note 2, this phone has a little history, it is a mexican phone that was manipulated to be unlocked, not sure on how got unlocked, but since unlock network use was terrible, it only worked on H or E newtworks, when we arrived to US, I bought a T-mobile sim card and it worked, but still network use was horrible, so I decided to try to remove whatever was made on the phone while unlocking it and fabric reset it. Now after doing it, I'm facing a problem, phone is not restarting, it stays in the samsung screen and doesn't complete restart process, I have already removed battery and restarted again, but same thing happen, can you please help me? what can I do to get it working?

This look a buggy software, Re-flash your phone with ODIn.

Ready To Help You.

gevan young

Nov 16, 2014, 8:58:11 PM via Website

how do i find out which 1 of the not 2 do i have

Shimaa Shalaby

Mar 7, 2015, 6:42:57 PM via Website

hi

i have note 2 but i install softwere of note 4 but my SIM card doesn't recognized

can i restore my note 2 softwere againe or my phone will die :(

Jeganathan L A

Mar 20, 2015, 7:53:19 PM via Website

Hi Carlon, while i am using my mobile, suddenty it got switched off. When i try to restart it again, its not getting into the home screen, first the model number is getting displayed and after that Samsung logo.. thats it after that no response. I tried to do the hard factory reset with the above instructions, as you have mentioned its not going to android recovery screen instead it displays the screen which show the phone model.

Please help me on this!! Thanks in Advance..

Deactivated Account

Mar 21, 2015, 3:07:06 AM via Website

Jeganathan L A

Hi Carlon, while i am using my mobile, suddenty it got switched off. When i try to restart it again, its not getting into the home screen, first the model number is getting displayed and after that Samsung logo.. thats it after that no response. I tried to do the hard factory reset with the above instructions, as you have mentioned its not going to android recovery screen instead it displays the screen which show the phone model.

Please help me on this!! Thanks in Advance..

Remvoe the battery for 10 min and put it back then try again
Try safe mode ..

if you can't enter the recovery mode, then your phone might be soft bricked ..
try reflashing

Ready To Help You.

Deactivated Account

Mar 21, 2015, 3:08:38 AM via Website

Shimaa Shalaby

hi

i have note 2 but i install softwere of note 4 but my SIM card doesn't recognized

can i restore my note 2 softwere againe or my phone will die :(

why did you do that ..
try re-flashing with Note 2 software. .but iam not sure this will work

Ready To Help You.

Tiffany

Apr 2, 2015, 12:14:58 AM via Website

Thanks Mr Kris..i tryed opening the USB open just a tad bit and trust me it work..THANK U..THANK UUUUUUU...OMG

Pablo Sanchoz

Sofia H Khan

Apr 24, 2015, 3:35:51 AM via Website

Hi,

This is what happened to my one when I did a hard reset. It's been like this all night. It's freaking me out. Help please.image

Aleksi Heikkinen

Apr 28, 2015, 8:02:28 PM via Website

Thanks man! it works 2015! :D

JaKa

Jul 7, 2015, 10:37:34 PM via Website

I want to reset my phone because I could not connect to my laptop. I tried all the suggestions i could find online but nothing worked. So I thought maybe a reset might do the trick. Now my problem is how do make a backup of 8GB data stored in my phone when I could not connect to my laptop in the first place. Help please.

Bryan Addison

Jul 14, 2015, 6:08:53 PM via Website

Hi.

My note 2 wont continue to boot. Stuck on the samsung galaxy note 2 logo. And when i charge my phone when turned off, it only shows the battery. Nothing is moving. What can i do? Please help. Thanks.

natasha rashid

Jul 29, 2015, 12:04:19 AM via Website

i did everything that you have written ..... but even after that my device did not restart... when i tried to start it on my own its stuck to this the welcome screen which says samsung galaxy note 2 GT-N7100.... what should i do now

Ama Witanga

Aug 5, 2015, 5:18:38 PM via Website

Hi, i just bought one of these Samsung galaxy note 2 from my friend as they were upgrading devices, problem is it wont read any sim from any network (im in New Zealand) and when i am at the home screen it says "you have activated the tracker ...(some numbers)... on this device" how can i get around this problem to insert a sim card??? ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED :-D

aditya reza

Nov 11, 2015, 5:17:13 PM via Website

how long does it take to reboot the device after the factory reset??

Natanael Surja

Nov 18, 2015, 9:40:02 AM via Website

Hai Kris, i want as something. When i play games at my note 2, it restart and stack at logo's loading screen. i have followed your step but still not work. can u suggested me why should i do ? should i go samsung service center?

Lemuel Macapil

Mar 22, 2016, 6:38:28 PM via Website

Hi there @kricarlon i cant go to the factory resey menu, i keep on pressing the home+volume+power button over and over again but it always projects on the SAMSUNG title onmy screen. I cant even open my phone 2 days from now. Hope you can help me.

benjamin

Mar 25, 2016, 8:08:52 PM via Website

Hello Kris. My samsung galaxy note II is stuck on the samsung boot logo. I have tried using odin to flash it but nothing has happened it is still stuck. Please help! And also i cant find my recovery mode even after following the procedure of pressing the home key together with the power key and volume up key(button) . PLEASE HELP.

Dhruvin Shah

Jul 3, 2016, 1:36:43 PM via Website

Hey kris,
I have samsung note 2. it is very nice phone till i have downloaded some application from unidentified source and it is installed by mistake.
I am facing some errors of APUS application and other which i have not permitted to download in my phone. I have done FACTORY RESET and HARD RESET too. but it is not helpful to me. when ever I try to use my phone quickly it is not responding properly and also get switch off automatically. Please help me as I literally fade up with these unknown application.

vignesh nair

Jul 7, 2016, 6:50:37 PM via Website

hi i am using samsung note 2. Its a rooted phone. my phone got hang and i switched off my phone. but when i restart a white screen always appears sometimes with dots.........can u please help me......what should i do?

ravi chandra

Jul 29, 2016, 4:08:35 PM via Website

sir plz help me i have done all the steps u said but still its in still condition only

Eddie King

Sep 1, 2016, 3:35:48 AM via Website

After performing factory reset when I go to reboot the phone it gets stuck on the Samsung galaxy note 2 opening screen. What do I do to fix this to make the phone reboot? Thanks

Deactivated Account

Sep 1, 2016, 3:54:19 AM via Website

Again go to the recovery mode and clear cache then data, if it doesn't work
Go to download mode (Vol down + home key + power button) and re-flash your phone with ODIN but this is just like hard reset.

Ready To Help You.

Radu Andrei

Sep 1, 2016, 4:03:21 PM via Website

i did the hard reset, then rebooted , its still stuck in the logo screen, it doesnt go back to hard reset

— modified on Sep 1, 2016, 4:04:55 PM

Deactivated Account

Sep 1, 2016, 6:01:14 PM via Website

Radu Andrei

i did the hard reset, then rebooted , its still stuck in the logo screen, it doesnt go back to hard reset

You have to re-flash your phone with odin, this will fix this issue. Download the firmware from sammobile.com and flash it with ODIN.

Ready To Help You.

david Ghost

Sep 7, 2016, 4:56:41 AM via Website

Hi,
I've been trying this a few times "hard reset " unfortunately recharging the phone in car, on the dash the phone/battery I think it's got hot from the cars heater. Hence is it more possible that I've cooked the phone just battery ? I've not got a spare battery to check it as yet.

taelor jones

Dec 13, 2016, 7:31:52 PM via Website

Okay, easy enough. But what do i do if my phone is frozen on the opening samsung galaxy note II screen? it will stay on that screen until it dies. when i charge it, itll come up with the off but charging screen, and one time ive gotten it to the reset android green robot screen, but it froze there until the phone died. i can take the battery out and start over whenever i need to. but i want to be able to reset it.

Sheryl Hellsund

Mar 3, 2017, 12:35:52 AM via Website

Note 2 settings error "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped". First, I took the battery out, then I cleared the cache...all of that didn't help. I then did a hard factory reset. Still not working. Any ideas?

Shaheer

Mar 28, 2017, 12:00:32 AM via Website

my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is on black screen, it is only shows Samsung Galaxy Note II, and always on, i tried many way to reset it , it doesn't work, i connected for downloading with my pc, and i run odin never passed,
i don't know how to fix it, is there any solution please guide me
Thanks