Samsung's botched Android 4.3 update fiasco - share your problems, rants, feelings

• Replies:122
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Nov 21, 2013 11:08:23 AM

The Samsung Android 4.3 update for the Galaxy S3 and S4 has been one of the worst manufacturer updates ever.

The official update has caused many problem, including:

• Appalling battery life, even when charging
  • Screen blackouts
  • Voice recognition broken
  • Wi-Fi instability problems, constant reconnecting
  • Wi-Fi guest network login problems
  • Constant switching between 3G/4G and Wi-Fi networks
  • Text messaging contact issues
  • Verizon car charger does not work
  • Mobile data icon missing
  • Music player self-launching
  • Bluetooth audio cutting out
  • Slower performance
  • Widget problems, Air View not working
  • Screen rotation broken

Share the problems you're experiencing (or not, if you're one of the lucky ones), any fixes you've found and what you think about Samsung's response to the problems you're facing.

Nov 21, 2013 3:47:17 PM

Kris Carlon

• Appalling battery life, even when charging
  • Wi-Fi instability problems, constant reconnecting
  • Constant switching between 3G/4G and Wi-Fi networks
  • Slower performance

These problems heavily continues with 4.3 :( for Turkey 2013 November 4.3 I9500XXUEMJ8

— modified on Nov 21, 2013 3:54:00 PM

Nov 21, 2013 4:41:11 PM

I have now had the 4.3 update on my S3 for two day now and no real problems, whew!! I have the T mobile T999 upgrade in the US. Only issue I have experienced is with one app that I get message the app has stopped (KP app has stopped). In my use so far the battery usage looks about the same as under 4.1.2. Most activities seem a bit more responsive than under 4.1.2.

Nov 21, 2013 6:54:41 PM

I was on Samsung site to ask about when we would see a patch for the S4 issues and the live chat person responded:

Visitor: I have the Galaxy S4 with Sprint service and recently downloaded the 4.3 Android update. I am experiencing multiple problems including intermittent black screen, bluetooth connection drops, wifi communication issues, music launch randomly, and 4G/3G constant switching. I researched and saw this is not uncommon after the update and want to know when a patch to resolve these issues is expected?
Kathy: I am sorry to know that you are facing issue with Galaxy S4 device after performing firmware update.
Kathy: I am sorry to inform you that no such issues have been reported on Samsung website. However, let us try few trouble shooting steps and check if issue persist.

Unbelievable!

Nov 23, 2013 8:17:58 PM

• Appalling battery life, even when charging - Nope battery life even better with the update.
  • Screen blackouts - Haven't experienced a screen blackout.
  • Voice recognition broken - It works, maybe yours is broken?
  • Wi-Fi instability problems, constant reconnecting - Wifi as consistent as 4.2.2.
  • Wi-Fi guest network login problems - Nope
  • Constant switching between 3G/4G and Wi-Fi networks - Nope when I'm on wifi, I'm on wifi, no 3G/4G being used.
  • Text messaging contact issues - Had the issue when I first upgraded to 4.3, but it seems to have resolved itself now.
  • Verizon car charger does not work - AT&T bitches!
  • Mobile data icon missing - This is missing when I upgraded, but I never used it so I never have cared for it.
  • Music player self-launching - I was afraid of this happening but nope.
  • Bluetooth audio cutting out - Haven't used bluetooth yet.
  • Slower performance - I think you misspelled faster.
  • Widget problems, Air View not working - Widgets work, Air View works.
  • Screen rotation broken - Screen rotates as it should.

Now the real question is wtf are you guys doing to your phones to where all these issues occur?! Jeez.

— modified on Nov 23, 2013 8:21:32 PM

Nov 24, 2013 8:30:57 PM

I received my 4.3 update a few days ago. I must say my s3 has become totally awesome. I was thinking of upgrading but after updates no way. I can move apps now and the phone is so fast and responsive. I hate it for you who had problems. But my device is even greater.

Nov 25, 2013 10:18:51 AM

@Hersey, that's good news for you! Not everyone is getting the issues which is very strange. Some in the AndroidPIT office have unusable S3's, some have better S3's. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason why some are affected badly and some positively. In any case, count yourself one of the lucky ones!

Nov 25, 2013 11:26:17 AM

This update has really put me off Samsung, I will be going to another manufacturer for my next device.

Just some of the things that it caused:-
  • Not sending Texts/Messages
  • Resending messages at random momments
  • Battery drain
  • Mobile Data usage while on Wi-fi Network
  • App Freezes
  • Broken Updates
  • Random Slowdowns
  • Screen Rotation keeps switching off

The list goes on..

Nov 25, 2013 9:10:52 PM

just letting you all know that i reset my s3 to factory settings and when 3 rebooted me phone was 4.3 but without any lags etc this time. it comes up do you want to update but i havnt as it might wreck phone again so left it as it is since resetting. i hope whoever tries it that it also works for them and let me know if it does and before you do it make sure you save your phone numbers and photos etc. apps you can download again on play store and make sure you write or remember your passwords before resetting. to reset hold volume button the home button and the right button together for about ten seconds then the menu will appear

Nov 29, 2013 9:58:44 AM

hey there Jon Liegl I was reading your post and I was having the same issue with my GS3 after first receiving the update on Nov 22nd. on Friday I remembered from another post on another forum that someone mentioned clearing the Download cache by accessing menu and locating the icon called Downloads. I did this and my phantom download notification issue was resolved. maybe this could help.

— modified on Nov 29, 2013 10:00:14 AM

Nov 29, 2013 7:04:25 PM

Jon Liegl
The only issue with my S3 after updating to 4.3 is that my past downloads keep popping back up in my status bar. Other than that I've got no issues.

I am experiencing exactly this same issue. Samsung Support had me try "wiping the cache" to no avail. Their next suggestion was a full factory reset which would delete all data, settings and downloaded apps. I passed.

Anyone else with this issue? Any fixes?

Nov 29, 2013 7:18:34 PM

Ron Price
hey there Jon Liegl I was reading your post and I was having the same issue with my GS3 after first receiving the update on Nov 22nd. on Friday I remembered from another post on another forum that someone mentioned clearing the Download cache by accessing menu and locating the icon called Downloads. I did this and my phantom download notification issue was resolved. maybe this could help.

Can you explain how to "access menu"? Or post a link to the forum you've mentioned.

Thanks

Nov 29, 2013 7:36:30 PM

Ron Price

Thanks Ron, this helped. Once I cleared list from the "Downloads" app I dont those periodic notifications.

Dec 1, 2013 10:51:10 PM

Hey there, I just downloaded the the update for my S3 Galaxy Jelly Bean and I didn't have any problems. I am puzzled please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the update the same one we all receive, just by different providers? Why would some get bad updates and some good? Thanks for your time.

Dec 2, 2013 4:28:40 PM

Karma? Perhaps you've been particularly nice to puppies and old ladies @Dave? Each carrier makes their own modifications to what Samsung provides (who in turn modify what Google provides). As to why everyone on a carrier-branded device doesn't get the exact same problems, that's a mystery to me.

Dec 4, 2013 12:30:34 PM

Hi @Sunny, a new ''stable'' Android 4.3 patch has been released, but it could take a while to make it through the carriers an regions to your device. Keep your eyes peeled because we'll be posting updates on the rollout, but the fact Samsung is already done with it is a good thing.