getting a star in notification bar?!

• Replies:56
Casey Beth
  • Forum posts: 79

Jun 1, 2011, 2:55:07 AM via App

So the last few days I've been getting a star in my notification bar that takes me to either an app for sale or some contest.....basically spam. Other then the fact its annoying, im a little concerned that I have a virus or something. Did I download a bad app it something? Anyone else getting this crap or know anything about it?!

Red Key

Andy N.
  • Forum posts: 22,375

Jun 1, 2011, 10:31:56 AM via App

Hi,

this sounds like Air-Push-Advertising. Any App installed/updated before it happened the first time?

edit: there is an app called AirPush-Detector in the market to scan your apps.
https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/com.brosmike.airpushdetector/AirPush-Detector

Andy

— modified on Jun 1, 2011, 10:53:14 AM

Viele Grüße,
Andy

OnePlus 3 (Resurrection Remix 5.8.2)
LG G Watch

Regeln | unsere Mods & Admins

Tina BoydDimitrios Oikonomoumatt mMike Dickinson

Steven Blum
  • Forum posts: 882

Jun 1, 2011, 1:06:57 PM via Website

Sounds like you might have downloaded some spamware with your app. I'd download an anti-spamware app like Lookout to scan the apps and figure out which one is spamming you. It sucks. I'm sorry this is happening to you!

Sometimes when I look at apps and I notice that something like a wallpaper app is asking for permission to access my internet, I know that this app is a bit fishy. You can sometimes just tell that an app is spamware, but definitely having something like Lookout will help, too. Good luck finding and removing the fishy app, and let us know how it goes!

Casey Beth

Jun 1, 2011, 9:07:28 PM via App

so I downloaded the air-push detector app and it found two apps that was screwing with me, so I just uninstalled them. I think android pit is the best general android forum around! The fact that I can post a question and get good solid answers within a day or two is awesome! I really appreciate both of u for taking the time to help out dummies like me! thanks

Andy N.

Jun 2, 2011, 12:17:51 AM via App

you're welcome. The AndroitPIT community helped me a lot in the past - now I try to share my experience... hope you'll do the same
Which apps did you find spamming with airpush ads?

Andy

— modified on Jun 2, 2011, 8:58:36 AM

Viele Grüße,
Andy

LG G Watch

potroexl
  • Forum posts: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 11:53:06 AM via Website

I installed the air-push defender and it worked, thanks!

It got that easy filter app was the one!

Casey Beth

Jun 2, 2011, 8:36:06 PM via App

the app that was screwing with my system is call "watch and download videos". thanks again!

Randy S

Jun 3, 2011, 9:56:04 PM via Website

reading the thread is interesting, I today had my first notification bar spam appear and had to do some research to figure out where it came from = a program on the android market called love poems (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.appflute.love.poems&feature=search_result), air push detector found it and eliminated it! As suggested I also downloaded the lookout program and the rest of the phone is clean. There was another program i removed as soon as i saw the notification called Taskkiller as the notification had its logo on it and it refered me to another program it thought I should download. Not happy with spam, or programs that promulgate themselves in this fashion

damponting44

Andy N.

Jun 3, 2011, 11:01:27 PM via App

what I'm wondering about is that there are still airpush apps in the field. Thought Google deleted them from the market...?!? Where did you get these apps?

Viele Grüße,
Andy

LG G Watch

damponting44

Casey Beth

Jun 4, 2011, 6:21:18 AM via App

just going through the market looking for apps that allow me.to watch TV programs and/or movies through my android phone. I've found several great apps like this but for every good app I go through four or five crappy ones?! sucks but I guess its the nature of the beast. I personally really disliked lookout although a lot of people swear by it....to each is own, but I'm very happy with the air push detector app. simple and effective. promulgate?.....damn I had to look it up

— modified on Jun 4, 2011, 6:23:20 AM

Chook

Jul 19, 2011, 12:07:25 AM via Website

These ads could be sent to you by Airpush "Push Notification Ads for Android". Try opting out by entering your phone's IMEI number at airpush.com
I had one ad each day next to a white star with a red circle in the middle which was really annoying. I didn't ever find which app had caused them. When I opted out, the ads stopped.

To find out your IMEI Number, dial *#06#
(Here's a website about IMEI numbers http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-IMEI-Number-on-a-Mobile-Phone )

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Jul 20, 2011, 6:38:09 AM via Website

As a developer, I've started to get emails from advertising companies that do notification ads. This seems to be a new type advertising developers can put into their apps. I haven't used this advertising method for any of my apps because as you guys have found, it is quite annoying.

Mark Bannan
  • Forum posts: 2

Sep 4, 2011, 9:54:32 PM via Website

I downloaded the app to figure out what is doing the air push and found out it is All Apps. So I went to remove it from my phone and it does not show up in the market as being installed although it is listed in my apps screen. So I installed it and then immediately removed it and it still won't go away. Any help here removing it would be appreciated.

Mark Bannan

Sep 4, 2011, 10:00:43 PM via Website

Well, I just figured out how to do the uninstall. I used app brain. It refreshed my list of installed apps and then allowed me to remove it inside of app brain.

Nirmeen H Saleh

Nov 26, 2011, 4:31:47 PM via Website

I get the same Airpush notifications to my phone but just because the Developer is irritating and added them to their app doesn't mean the app is no good because the app that is sending them I love a lot and use a lot. All you have to do is go to www.airpush.com/imei/ and type in your IMEI number and your phone will not get anymore ads regardless of any app you download that sends them and you can keep that app if you like it which I have. Hope this helps :)

Jeremiah
  • Forum posts: 775

Nov 27, 2011, 5:14:41 AM via Website

Nirmeen H Saleh
I get the same Airpush notifications to my phone but just because the Developer is irritating and added them to their app doesn't mean the app is no good because the app that is sending them I love a lot and use a lot. All you have to do is go to www.airpush.com/imei/ and type in your IMEI number and your phone will not get anymore ads regardless of any app you download that sends them and you can keep that app if you like it which I have. Hope this helps :)

Did not know this... thanks for the tip!

Ben Bruges
  • Forum posts: 4

Dec 15, 2011, 12:07:34 PM via Website

Many thanks for the information - I entered my IMEI settings as well as downloaded and ran AirPush Detector. To my dismay, it turned out to be 'My Settings', which is one of the first apps I ever downloaded, and which I've used to control my system ever since. A shame, as otherwise it was a really good app.

The message to developers being - we f**king hate push notifications! Stoppit!

On the other hand I never donated to 'My Settings' so I guess I learn that nothing is free. But, given that they've used push notifications, there's no way I'll re-install or donate now. End of.

dan grierson

Dec 16, 2011, 12:30:39 AM via Website

I had the same problem with Task killer, which is now no more. Hopefully no more annoying star on my lovely new
XOOM!

Good forum, full of excellent advice!

— modified on Dec 16, 2011, 12:31:03 AM

Deactivated Account

Dec 31, 2011, 7:26:31 PM via Website

I started getting push ads with a green + in the notification bar about three days ago. Today I got the White Star with a red circle. I tried the following to figure out which app was responsible, without success:
AirPush Detector: Finds nothing
AddOn Dector: Finds nothing when the Push Notifications filter is selected
NAK (Notification Ad Killer): finds nothing

I'm very perplexed about how I can be getting these ads without these detector apps, which all get really good reviews, being able to find a culprit. I'm in the U.S., running a rooted TMobile G2X (made by LG... I think in Europe they may call it it an Optimus2x?). I'm not sure what to do here beyond deleting all my apps.

I run Advanced Task Killer Free, but that's not the Task Killer that people in this thread had trouble with, is it?

Ray R

Jan 1, 2012, 10:18:11 PM via Website

Hi... Same phone (rooted too); same annoying notifications; tried same detection apps; same results - well almost, Crackle (v2.5.3) was reported as being "infected" with Urban Airship. Also, in another forum someone reported that s/he suspected an app called "Bloat Free" (sp?) that did not show in scans, but notifications stopped when that app was deleted. I had that installed and deleted it. These notifications are all very annoying! Good luck...

Ray R

Jan 1, 2012, 10:18:39 PM via Website

Hi... Same phone (rooted too); same annoying notifications; tried same detection apps; same results - well almost, Crackle (v2.5.3) was reported as being "infected" with Urban Airship. Also, in another forum someone reported that s/he suspected an app called "Bloat Free" (sp?) that did not show in scans, but notifications stopped when that app was deleted. I had that installed and deleted it. These notifications are all very annoying! Good luck...

Ray R

Jan 1, 2012, 10:19:12 PM via Website

Ray R

Jan 1, 2012, 10:19:20 PM via Website

Deactivated Account

Jan 2, 2012, 2:17:49 AM via Website

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything until I was sure, but I think that BloatFreezer was the culprit for me, too. I deleted it and the ads stopped---and it was the only thing I deleted after the last ad I got. On Twitter the dev has denied using push ads, but I'm having a hard time believing that. Too bad, because it was a good app.

Edit: Allegedly---and I didn't get a notice about this myself, so it is hearsay---the dev was telling people that to get a code that would eliminate the ads they had to give a 5 star review. The app has been removed from the marketplace.

— modified on Jan 2, 2012, 2:19:06 AM

Steven Blum

Jan 2, 2012, 10:03:48 AM via Website

Glad to know it got deleted. Man that crapware is annoying!

michael peluso

Jan 3, 2012, 9:19:10 PM via Website

was getting the same thing - downloaded air-push dector, it found flashlightHD so i removed it. every thing seems to be fine so far. thanks

CarlaT

Jan 18, 2012, 11:32:31 PM via Website

I have a Droid X on Verizon..when I tried the *#06# I see
MEID
HEX and and numbers
and
DEC and numbers but not the IMEI number???
Carla

Aaron Tilton
  • Forum posts: 838

Jan 19, 2012, 10:42:54 AM via Website

If the IMEI number doesn't show up when you tried the code, then just pop the battery out. You should see a sticker under the battery with a QR code on it and normally the number above the QR code or around it is the IMEI number.

Hope that helps!

tony clemons

Jan 31, 2012, 2:30:37 AM via Website

Perfect!!!! thanks helped tremendously

Sharon Leon

Feb 1, 2012, 8:01:07 PM via Website

I was getting this too. I found out it was ExtDate Widget after installing Addons Detector. The existing add went away upon uninstall. Here's hoping I got that fixed!!!

Eric McBride
  • Forum posts: 1,790

Feb 2, 2012, 1:31:28 PM via Website

The air push app is very good. Nice suggestion. It just picked up a couple on my phone which i promptly removed.

Thanks for the tip!

Jeannine I.

Feb 15, 2012, 3:30:56 AM via Website

I was getting that notification also, it was because of Easy MP3 Download and I knew this because it started after I downloaded it. So I went and got the program: Addons detector and of course, it found it. Not only did it find that, but Michael's(craft store) program was one of the problems also. So I got rid of it. I kept the Easy MP3 Download because there are not better programs than this that I have found. It finds music that no other can find.. So, I guess I am stuck with the star... =(

Steven Blum

Feb 15, 2012, 10:35:16 AM via Website

Thanks for sharing, Jeannine. Hopefully your comment will help others who are having similar problems.

Eric McBride

Feb 15, 2012, 3:19:27 PM via Website

Jeannine I.
I was getting that notification also, it was because of Easy MP3 Download and I knew this because it started after I downloaded it. So I went and got the program: Addons detector and of course, it found it. Not only did it find that, but Michael's(craft store) program was one of the problems also. So I got rid of it. I kept the Easy MP3 Download because there are not better programs than this that I have found. It finds music that no other can find.. So, I guess I am stuck with the star... =(

Amazing how well Addons Detector works :-D I have the same issue with SuperStickman Golf. Love the game, so I have to deal with the star!

— modified on Feb 15, 2012, 3:19:52 PM

Cyril Bihary

Feb 15, 2012, 8:14:58 PM via Website

Andy N.
Hi,

this sounds like Air-Push-Advertising. Any App installed/updated before it happened the first time?

edit: there is an app called AirPush-Detector in the market to scan your apps.
https://www.nextpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/com.brosmike.airpushdetector/AirPush-Detector

Andy

Hi Andy,

I just want to say that I downloaded Air PushDetector and it quickly spotted the app that was pushing the advertising. I was able to remove that app and had no more problems.

Aaron Tilton

Feb 16, 2012, 10:45:13 AM via Website

Hey thanks for the tip! I was having problems with my Xperia play with ads in the notification bar. I hadn't heard aboout Air push detector but it works great! Thanks!

Dimitrios Oikonomou

Feb 29, 2012, 3:54:42 PM via Website

thank you Andy, AirPush-Detector worked perfectly for me! The app causing it was "Easy Mp3 downloader". Now i just have to find another app to download mp3s :(

Aaron Tilton

Mar 1, 2012, 10:11:44 AM via Website

uTorrent is coming out soon for Android. Keep your eyes open for that!

Loretta Bright

Mar 2, 2012, 12:18:29 AM via Website

i am getting little green plus signs too along with the stars.

Aaron Tilton

Mar 2, 2012, 11:08:03 AM via Website

Have you tried clearing the notification bar? Does they stay there when you clear it?

Betty K

Apr 19, 2012, 10:41:31 PM via Website

Thank you for the tips! I tried entering my IMEI no. at airpush but my records were not found. Downloaded the airpush detector and voila, Google Calendar was the culprit! Uninstalled it and saved my sanity :)

Christina Rogers

Jun 5, 2012, 2:27:42 AM via Website

Thanks to the great people on this forum I was able to get rid of these annoying notifications by installing AirBlocker.

FYI, here are the apps that caused the issues for me:

Hairstyles for Women, found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wikilibs.fan_women_hairstyles_4&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS53aWtpbGlicy5mYW5fd29tZW5faGFpcnN0eWxlc180Il0.

Memo Phineas and Ferb, found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.seikaStudios.MemoryGamePhineas&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zZWlrYVN0dWRpb3MuTWVtb3J5R2FtZVBoaW5lYXMiXQ..

Eric McBride

Jun 5, 2012, 2:19:50 PM via Website

Christina Rogers
Thanks to the great people on this forum I was able to get rid of these annoying notifications by installing AirBlocker.

FYI, here are the apps that caused the issues for me:

Hairstyles for Women, found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wikilibs.fan_women_hairstyles_4&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS53aWtpbGlicy5mYW5fd29tZW5faGFpcnN0eWxlc180Il0.

Memo Phineas and Ferb, found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.seikaStudios.MemoryGamePhineas&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5zZWlrYVN0dWRpb3MuTWVtb3J5R2FtZVBoaW5lYXMiXQ..

I also use AirBlocker and it works really well. Highly recommended.

alonso vazquez

Nov 27, 2012, 6:38:43 AM via Website

remove all unistalled or unwanted apps from google store/play from "myapps" in the menu setting

Camaro Girl

Dec 28, 2012, 11:33:26 PM via Website

So I installed the airpush detector and did a scan on my phone. Problem is, they do not detect the notification ads I'm getting. But the ads are those annoying star ads. And in the notification alert message that first pops up with the ads, it says you can opt out. But if you click on the message and open it up, it does not give you the opt out function.

Kurahiro

Jan 11, 2013, 1:33:24 PM via Website

I also installed both AirPush and Lookout but it didn't find anything. What I am receiving is a Notification with just a white Star and several phrases in Chinese (I think). The first time I clicked by mistake and it asked me to install something, but I declined. It only appeared two times.

id11vcna

Jun 24, 2013, 12:55:51 AM via Website

Norton Spot found that Tic-Tac-Toe was causing this when AirPush Detector and Lookout BOTH missed it. Also, discovered that somehow Lookout was disabled - this was on the kid's phone, so no telling how this happened but No more Tic-Tac-Toe for them! (specifically: "com.ttssaTTc.ttcsa").

id11vcna

Jun 24, 2013, 12:59:52 AM via Website

Try Norton Spot.

Vania Melamed

Jul 28, 2013, 9:23:07 AM via Website

B"H
Very helpful advice; downloaded both Lookout and Air-push Detector, found the exact apps causing me grief, uninstalled in no time, and now back to a normally-functioning phone. Thanks, Gentlemen.