getting a star in notification bar?!

• Replies:50
  • OpenNot stickiedUnanswered

Jun 1, 2011 2:55:07 AM

So the last few days I've been getting a star in my notification bar that takes me to either an app for sale or some contest.....basically spam. Other then the fact its annoying, im a little concerned that I have a virus or something. Did I download a bad app it something? Anyone else getting this crap or know anything about it?!

Jun 1, 2011 10:31:56 AM

Hi,

this sounds like Air-Push-Advertising. Any App installed/updated before it happened the first time?

edit: there is an app called AirPush-Detector in the market to scan your apps.
http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/com.brosmike.airpushdetector/AirPush-Detector

Andy

— modified on Jun 1, 2011 10:53:14 AM

Viele Grüße,
Andy

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | PhoeniX v17
AndroidPIT App 2.1 | AppCenter | Regeln | App-Übersichten

Jun 1, 2011 1:06:57 PM

Sounds like you might have downloaded some spamware with your app. I'd download an anti-spamware app like Lookout to scan the apps and figure out which one is spamming you. It sucks. I'm sorry this is happening to you!

Sometimes when I look at apps and I notice that something like a wallpaper app is asking for permission to access my internet, I know that this app is a bit fishy. You can sometimes just tell that an app is spamware, but definitely having something like Lookout will help, too. Good luck finding and removing the fishy app, and let us know how it goes!

Jun 1, 2011 9:07:28 PM

so I downloaded the air-push detector app and it found two apps that was screwing with me, so I just uninstalled them. I think android pit is the best general android forum around! The fact that I can post a question and get good solid answers within a day or two is awesome! I really appreciate both of u for taking the time to help out dummies like me! thanks

Jun 3, 2011 9:56:04 PM

reading the thread is interesting, I today had my first notification bar spam appear and had to do some research to figure out where it came from = a program on the android market called love poems (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.appflute.love.poems&feature=search_result), air push detector found it and eliminated it! As suggested I also downloaded the lookout program and the rest of the phone is clean. There was another program i removed as soon as i saw the notification called Taskkiller as the notification had its logo on it and it refered me to another program it thought I should download. Not happy with spam, or programs that promulgate themselves in this fashion

Jun 4, 2011 6:21:18 AM

just going through the market looking for apps that allow me.to watch TV programs and/or movies through my android phone. I've found several great apps like this but for every good app I go through four or five crappy ones?! sucks but I guess its the nature of the beast. I personally really disliked lookout although a lot of people swear by it....to each is own, but I'm very happy with the air push detector app. simple and effective. promulgate?.....damn I had to look it up

— modified on Jun 4, 2011 6:23:20 AM

Jul 19, 2011 12:07:25 AM

These ads could be sent to you by Airpush "Push Notification Ads for Android". Try opting out by entering your phone's IMEI number at airpush.com
I had one ad each day next to a white star with a red circle in the middle which was really annoying. I didn't ever find which app had caused them. When I opted out, the ads stopped.

To find out your IMEI Number, dial *#06#
(Here's a website about IMEI numbers http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-IMEI-Number-on-a-Mobile-Phone )

Jul 20, 2011 6:38:09 AM

As a developer, I've started to get emails from advertising companies that do notification ads. This seems to be a new type advertising developers can put into their apps. I haven't used this advertising method for any of my apps because as you guys have found, it is quite annoying.

Sep 4, 2011 9:54:32 PM

I downloaded the app to figure out what is doing the air push and found out it is All Apps. So I went to remove it from my phone and it does not show up in the market as being installed although it is listed in my apps screen. So I installed it and then immediately removed it and it still won't go away. Any help here removing it would be appreciated.

Nov 26, 2011 4:31:47 PM

I get the same Airpush notifications to my phone but just because the Developer is irritating and added them to their app doesn't mean the app is no good because the app that is sending them I love a lot and use a lot. All you have to do is go to www.airpush.com/imei/ and type in your IMEI number and your phone will not get anymore ads regardless of any app you download that sends them and you can keep that app if you like it which I have. Hope this helps :)

Nov 27, 2011 5:14:41 AM

Nirmeen H Saleh
I get the same Airpush notifications to my phone but just because the Developer is irritating and added them to their app doesn't mean the app is no good because the app that is sending them I love a lot and use a lot. All you have to do is go to www.airpush.com/imei/ and type in your IMEI number and your phone will not get anymore ads regardless of any app you download that sends them and you can keep that app if you like it which I have. Hope this helps :)

Did not know this... thanks for the tip!

Dec 15, 2011 12:07:34 PM

Many thanks for the information - I entered my IMEI settings as well as downloaded and ran AirPush Detector. To my dismay, it turned out to be 'My Settings', which is one of the first apps I ever downloaded, and which I've used to control my system ever since. A shame, as otherwise it was a really good app.

The message to developers being - we f**king hate push notifications! Stoppit!

On the other hand I never donated to 'My Settings' so I guess I learn that nothing is free. But, given that they've used push notifications, there's no way I'll re-install or donate now. End of.

Dec 16, 2011 12:30:39 AM

I had the same problem with Task killer, which is now no more. Hopefully no more annoying star on my lovely new
XOOM!

Good forum, full of excellent advice!

— modified on Dec 16, 2011 12:31:03 AM

Dec 31, 2011 7:26:31 PM

I started getting push ads with a green + in the notification bar about three days ago. Today I got the White Star with a red circle. I tried the following to figure out which app was responsible, without success:
AirPush Detector: Finds nothing
AddOn Dector: Finds nothing when the Push Notifications filter is selected
NAK (Notification Ad Killer): finds nothing

I'm very perplexed about how I can be getting these ads without these detector apps, which all get really good reviews, being able to find a culprit. I'm in the U.S., running a rooted TMobile G2X (made by LG... I think in Europe they may call it it an Optimus2x?). I'm not sure what to do here beyond deleting all my apps.

I run Advanced Task Killer Free, but that's not the Task Killer that people in this thread had trouble with, is it?

Jan 1, 2012 10:18:11 PM

Hi... Same phone (rooted too); same annoying notifications; tried same detection apps; same results - well almost, Crackle (v2.5.3) was reported as being "infected" with Urban Airship. Also, in another forum someone reported that s/he suspected an app called "Bloat Free" (sp?) that did not show in scans, but notifications stopped when that app was deleted. I had that installed and deleted it. These notifications are all very annoying! Good luck...